Graduated from the Scenera for our Airplane Seat. What next?

ivegotayen

We have two boys, ages 4 and almost 2.

We fly a fair amount and have used Sceneras for both boys, up to this point. They have worked marvelously, especially for two kids, since they nest really well inside each other for easier carrying.

My 4-year-old is 39 lbs, though, so he's at the limit of his seat.

So now we have to figure out what to get next.

Here's what we like for an airplane seat:

- Lightweight
- Compact
- Reasonably easy to install using belt path, easy latch install a bonus.
- If the 2-year-old's Scenera can nest well inside the new 4-year-old's seat, that's a plus, or we'd be willing to get two new seats, if there's some other seat that nests like the Sceenras do.

All the above being said, if, another seat doesn't quite meet these requirements but offers its own set of advantages that are overwhelming, then we might be up for considering it.

The Radian is compelling, since it folds and can be worn on the back, but I'm not sure it would really work, since my husband and I each travel with back packs already, and I often wear the 2-year-old on my front in the Ergo. But maybe it could work, if I put my backpack on my front/Radian on my back and walked the 2-year-old down the aisle. (We usually also take along an Uppababy G-Lite umbrella stroller for getting through the terminal.)

Budget is flexible. If there's something good but pricey, we can stretch for it if the benefits warrant the price. But if there's something good and reasonable (like the Sceneras were) that's awesome, too!

Thanks for your insight!

ADS

bubbaray

We used to fly with Radians for our girls by always with them in a stroller through the terminal. I can't imagine carrying one because they are heavy.

A lighter option would be a Maestro. It's FFg only though.

1mommy

I'd look into the Guide 65, not the easiest install often needs noodles/towels but isn't bad, and last until 65 pounds and has fairly high straps at 17-17.5 inches. The downside is that sometimes the forward leaning headrest can bother the children especially when forward facing but mine has never complained when RF. You could also look into the SureRide, which is light and has 19 inch top straps, but its not as compact and you may have trouble fitting in a compact rental car especially if you need more leg room.

ivegotayen

I'd look into the Guide 65, not the easiest install often needs noodles/towels but isn't bad, and last until 65 pounds and has fairly high straps at 17-17.5 inches. The downside is that sometimes the forward leaning headrest can bother the children especially when forward facing but mine has never complained when RF. You could also look into the SureRide, which is light and has 19 inch top straps, but its not as compact and you may have trouble fitting in a compact rental car especially if you need more leg room.

Yes, I was thinking of a SureRide. These days with two kids and a mountain of luggage, we don't fit in compact rental cars. :) So no worries there.

I saw some threads about foam/no foam/US/Non-US/Titan65/SureRide/SureSafe. So it seems like that seat would require a little bit of research to get the one that has all the desired specs. I saw that you can get the two-pack from ChildSource, too. If these two seats can nest, that might be a good option.

Thanks for everyone's input so far! Keep it coming! :)

baj

I just got the 2-pack of SureRide/Titan 65 from ChildSource for my 1.5 and almost 4 year olds for an upcoming trip. They do not have any foam, which is what I was expecting (I'm ok with that -- the plastic shells have a bit of give in the side wings, I won't have to worry about foam getting damaged while dragging them through the airport). They come in a single box from Evenflo (this isn't a ChildSource 2-fer, it's an Evenflo 2-fer), stacked together with no packaging between the seats so they certainly nest to some extent. If there are any other details you'd like to know about the ChildSource seats just let me know.

baj

Oh, and on the topic of US vs. non-US versions of the Titan 65: maybe this isn't what you're talking about, but the instructions have different rules about which harness slots can be used FF and RF for the US and Canada. I think it's the same seat, just different rules for the two countries. There are 6 sets of harness slots. In Canada the top 3 are for FF only and the bottom 3 are for RF only. In the US, you are allowed to use the 4th slot for either FF or RF.

ivegotayen

Took a look at the SureRide at Target today. This model didn't appear to have any foam in it. It was among the lighter-weight seats, fairly low-profile, and I think the Scenera will fit in it. I intend to go ahead and get the two-pack from ChildSource, since we'll need the second one eventually -- and I might just standardize and put them both in these now. They look a bit more comfy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC