Question 3.5 yo, on a budget, current seat expiring soon

angi_marie26

My son will be 4 in July. He is 37 lbs, a smidge over 40" tall, torso (measured bottom of bum to top of shoulder, while sitting) was just over 12". He is the biggest any of my kids have been, at this age. His current seat (I can't remember what it is, but I don't love it) is expiring at the end of this year, so I have some time to research and find a good deal. Oh, I drive a Chrysler Town and Country, and he is in the cabin chair behind the passenger seat.

He is forward facing and I'm looking for a good seat, that should last us a while (I'm okay with buying a high back booster for him, in 3 years, if I really have to). My kids generally run small...his older sister is 6.5 and is around 40 lbs, my oldest is 12 and barely out of a booster (4'10", 75 lbs). We have a tight budget and would really like to try for under $100. What would you recommend??

Thanks so much!!

Angi
ds-12, ds-9, dd-6, ds-3.5

ADS

armywife12

You are in luck. He has a tiny torso for his age, which is great in the car seat world. The evenflo maestro is about $80, harnesses to 50 lbs and converts to a decent fitting high back booster but the booster portion is outgrown shortly after the harness height is. Top slots are 18 inches so he would have tons of growing room left. We really liked our maestro

Keeanh

You are in luck. He has a tiny torso for his age, which is great in the car seat world. The evenflo maestro is about $80, harnesses to 50 lbs and converts to a decent fitting high back booster but the booster portion is outgrown shortly after the harness height is. Top slots are 18 inches so he would have tons of growing room left. We really liked our maestro

:yeahthat:

With a short torso, the Maestro would likely last until he's ready for a backless booster.

angi_marie26

I really appreciate you responding to my question!!

I was looking at the Maestro. One of the complaints I read was about the straps being close together, riding on he neck. That is my biggest complaint with his current seat. I was discussing the Maestro with my friend, a tech, and I can't find it now...but know she said something not so great about it as a booster.

I was looking at the Maestro and actually called her specifically to ask about it ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's a great booster. The fit is fantastic. It's just outgrown at the same time as a booster as it is as a harnessed seat.

Wendy

4BabyUnit

We're in the same boat as you, but need a new one b/c DD is outgrowing her convertible. Was advised on here about the Maestro being a good seat too but haven't had to buy it yet, because I've learned that the convertible we have is actually good until the tops of her EARS are level with the seat back as opposed to the top of her HEAD...buys us a little more time. Will keep an eye on this post to see what others have to say.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A 12" torso is really small for a 40" child. It would be helpful to know what seat he's currently in and where his shoulders are in relation to the top strap settings.

I also recommend the Maestro.

bombedier

Senior Community Member
Another option would be the Graco Nautilus - harnesses to 65lbs, top harness slot height is 18.5 inches and then booster to 100lbs. It's around $150.

J-max

CPST Instructor
Said tech friend here ;)

He is currently in a comfort sport (I believe, need to get out my paperwork and check for sure). I think he is int he top harness slot with an inch or 1.5 to go, but I could be wrong on that.

I said the Maestro was probably a good option, just that the booster was outgrown about the same time as the harness, so he would most likely need a "regular" booster after that.

Keeanh

If his torso is really that short, there are convertibles that might work. The Evenflo Titan with 14" slots goes to 50lbs ($80). The Alpha Omega with 16" slots is also 50lbs ($100). Neither of these can / should be used as a booster though (the Alpha Omega has a horrible booster fit, even though it can technically be used as one).

The Nautilus is probably best bang for your buck at $135 at Walmart.

ETA: Just read the PP (we cross-posted). His torso IS short! I think the Titan harness has almost an inch on the Comfort Sport.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
He is currently in a comfort sport (I believe, need to get out my paperwork and check for sure). I think he is int he top harness slot with an inch or 1.5 to go, but I could be wrong on that.

Wow, that really would be a 12" torso! So he could fit in pretty much any carseat on the market. :)

cookie123

We're in the same boat as you, but need a new one b/c DD is outgrowing her convertible. Was advised on here about the Maestro being a good seat too but haven't had to buy it yet, because I've learned that the convertible we have is actually good until the tops of her EARS are level with the seat back as opposed to the top of her HEAD...buys us a little more time. Will keep an eye on this post to see what others have to say.

A forward facing seat is outgrown if the shoulders go above the top harness slots (harness must be at or above the shoulders), OR if the tips of the ears go above the shell, OR the weight limit is reached.

Just wanted to be clear on that.:)

angi_marie26

I wasn't kidding, lol, when I said I grow them LITTLE! Now I'm considering getting him dressed and loaded in, just to take a picture! I measured him TWICE! Just to be sure, because it seemed oddly small to me! Then I measured DD and she isn't that much more than him...but her LEGS are a lot longer, back to back, his bum is completely below hers...his stops where hers starts ;) If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll do it!

Angi

J-max

CPST Instructor
I wasn't kidding, lol, when I said I grow them LITTLE! Now I'm considering getting him dressed and loaded in, just to take a picture! I measured him TWICE! Just to be sure, because it seemed oddly small to me! Then I measured DD and she isn't that much more than him...but her LEGS are a lot longer, back to back, his bum is completely below hers...his stops where hers starts ;) If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll do it!

Angi
If you can't get a pic up, email it to me and I can put it up

angi_marie26

See the neck :(

IMG_0043-4.jpg

Grumpy to be in his car seat, for now

IMG_0044-4.jpg

IMG_0045-3.jpg

Torso:

IMG_0049-2.jpg

The way he is sitting, and taking this pic I now see that I probably could have his straps down a slot...but it was getting so close, and if he's wearing his fleece, it was just a better fit to move it up.

Angi

J-max

CPST Instructor
Ok, so its not a comfort sport, LOL Sorry :)

Angi, remember we looked at putting the straps down and it was right at his shoulders, it must be the way he is sitting.

angi_marie26

No problem, Jess! It's an Evenflo, something ;) I'm not attached to it, in any way...it just fills the bill for NOW.

Silly note, Aislynn is ecstatic about her new seat, which is coming TOMORROW! Plus, it is PINK!!

Angi

Kat_Momof3

that's the evenflo chase... what I'd do is measure the distance between the slots... then take the tape measure with you to the store... and see if the maestro's are the same or better... or, once you measure your seat, perhaps someone here could measure their maestro.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC