How to become a cps tech

C

carsafetyjunky

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, I just can't seem to find any info. I am a car safety junky, and was wondering what is involved in becoming certified? I know there is a 40 hour class involved, but not much else. How does it work? Where are the classes held? Does it cost a lot of money? Thanks for the info.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
This is a great place to ask!

The 4-day class is the main step. Getting lots and lots of hands-on experience after the class is the REAL step:)

Classes are held in most areas at some point during the year. The organization and costs vary from class to class, as some are subsidized more than others.

The best way to find a class near you is to find a local technician, and ask for contact information for an instructor in your area. Instructors will usually know all the upcoming classes in the vicinity.

A second way is to contact your state coordinator, who will probably refer you to someone in your area. To find your coordinator, please visit:

http://www.cpsboard.org/state.htm

General information about certificaion can also be found at the site above. If you happen to live in Illinois, you can find classes by visiting our website at http://www.seatcheck.net .

Good luck!

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
Hi,

I took the CPS class last November. It is a fantastic class! An overview - there is a 36 hour class that you take. During this class you learn all about car seats - their use, selection, parts, limits - as well as crash dymanics, seat belt systems, and other things. Part of the class is lecture, and part of it is hands on learning. There are several "hand's on clinicals" that you have to pass. Then you participate in a free car seat check clinic at the very end. They are held in various places. Mine was held at a fire station and the state's coordinator had a grant to cover the expenses so my class was free. I have also heard of some classes costing only $10, and other's costing as much as $100.

As Darren said, contact your state's coordinator and he/she will send you in the right direction.

Best wishes,
Sara

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC