Baby hates Como! dont know what else to try

armyfam

Well, I ordered my baby a Como and it arrived yesterday. She screams everytime I put her in. She is 10 months old. I called Recaro and they said that she didn't need the headrest but when I checked on the threads here some said she needed the headrest until above the bottom two harness slots. She is only on the first harness slot. Besides, the sides of the Como seem hard. She doesnt like the strap protector thing either. Do you have any suggestions? Recaro(I spoke to Gayle) said to turn her FF when her legs get to long and she starts to fold them. I thought it was ok for her to fold her legs RF? Anyway, I may need another seat. Let me know what you think. She's got about a half a pound to go on her infant seat. Need some suggestions:confused:

ADS

arly1983

Recaro(I spoke to Gayle) :

Oh, Gayle, not again:mad:

Gayle has been giving out alot of bad information.

I had two Comos and have went the rounds with Recaro (Gayle and others). Its according to who you talk to at Recaro as to if you need the headrest or not. It is generally believed on this board that the headrest is not required as the Como has a deep shell lined with energy absorping foam.

The strap covers are not mandatory so if she doesn't like them, take them off.

As for the legs bending its time to turn her FFing; that is wrong. Your little one is much safer RFing.

See the following threads about RFing with legs bent.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=7936&highlight=safe+RFing+legs

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=13285&highlight=safe+RFing+legs

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=11506&highlight=safe+RFing+legs

Synchro246

How's the recline?

With the seat out of the car how does she react to it? Is it possible to give it a few (dozen :p) more tries to see if it's just a matter of getting used to the change rather than being really uncomfortable in it.

armyfam

We haven't tried to put her in the car yet. We sat her in it while we were still in the house. I even put Sesame Street on to see if she would just relax and give it a chance. It reclines quite much. But again I only tried it in the house. I also notice that her legs stick out farther than in other seats I tried like the Evenflo Advance. I want to get her as much comfortable RF as possible. I did see a Britax BLVD on closeout. Which would you suggest BLVD or Triumph Advance

arly1983

Which would you suggest BLVD or Triumph Advance

If she (and you) don't like the Como, the best thing you can do is return it. You will be using this for the next few years.

hmmmm, Both seats are a good choice and have tall slots (17 in and 16.75 in) and are high weight harnesses ( 50 lbs and 65 lbs)

The boulevard is a wonderful choice all around and the Triumph Advance is great for budget minded parents. If you LO doesn't like the wings on the Como, you might want to try her in the Boulevard before you buy it. She might not mind the BV wings at all being they are not touching her head.

armyfam

Is it ok to buy carseats on closeout? Just as safe? Does it just mean the pattern is disontinued? Also, does the BLVd have EPS in the shell?

arly1983

Is it ok to buy carseats on closeout? Just as safe? Does it just mean the pattern is disontinued? Also, does the BLVd have EPS in the shell?

Yes, if you are talking about the Regal pattern. It is perfectly safe, the fabric has been replaced by another pattern so it is on closeout.

The BV has eps foam in the head wings.

mimieliza

We haven't tried to put her in the car yet. We sat her in it while we were still in the house.

Oh, my DD would FLIP OUT if I tried to sit her in a carseat in the house. Maybe try it in the car?

armyfam

ok, I tried my baby in the Como for a ride and she didn't cry much but she was keeping her head sticking out. She did it for along time and was even starting to fall asleep like that. I looked back again and she was asleep with her head back and chin up? At the last look, her head was flopped forward. I have it reclined all the way back. Is it my install or is it the baby? Also, does anyone know why the Signo and Blvd only have EPS in the headwings. Also, is there a deeper carseat out there somewhere? Like a bucket seat that surrounds her more. Not just the upper body?

Mama!

ok, I tried my baby in the Como for a ride and she didn't cry much but she was keeping her head sticking out. She did it for along time and was even starting to fall asleep like that. I looked back again and she was asleep with her head back and chin up? At the last look, her head was flopped forward. I have it reclined all the way back. Is it my install or is it the baby? Also, does anyone know why the Signo and Blvd only have EPS in the headwings. Also, is there a deeper carseat out there somewhere? Like a bucket seat that surrounds her more. Not just the upper body?

My very large and strong ds does sleep with head pushed up high, but you need to make sure her back and bottom are pushed back into the seat frame, otherwise those fat cushions could be cocking her head forward. Make sense?

sixboys

I've never seen a Como so I don't have any insight on how it works or how to make your DD like the seat.

I do have BVs though and I think they are great. I also have the new Britax Diplomat, and I absolutely love :love: it for my 16 month old son! It is a smaller seat than the BV, has the side impact wings - but unlike the BV the wings on the DP angle out more to the side and are less restrictive. This has worked much better for my son in the RF position. It also has a higher RF limit than the BV, 35lbs vs. 33lbs. in the BV.

The Diplomat could be a good option for your DD, but keep in mind that it has a shorter life than the BV. It can only be used to 40 pounds, which means you'd have to buy another harnessed seat when DD outgrows it, unlike the BV which could likely be used until she is ready for a high back booster. Babies R Us should carry both the Diplomat and the Boulevard. You could maybe check out one near you and see if DD tolerates either of those seats better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC