Help, child presses red button!

L

listu

Help my 2 1/2 year old has worked out to press the red button to release the car seat straps on her britax eclipse. And so che now climbs out all the time. No amount of telling off is working. Has anyone encountered this before? Any suggestions? PLEASE!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Simply pull over and rebuckle her. Or turn around and go home. Tell her she can't go out if she's not going to be safe. You could be a bit on the mean side, promise her a treat, ice cream or the like, and as you're driving there when she unbuckles turn around. No treat. After a few times of sitting on the side of the road for a half hour, or turning around and going home, she should get the drift.

Do you think she'd understand crash test videos? If so show them to her. Talk to her about how unsafe it is to be free in a vehicle.

Wendy

Tara

and wasn't it mentioned here before something about turning the buckle around?

I just vaguely remember that coming up in conversation...I don't recall the final consensus on it Input anyone?

C

childrestraintsafety

I guess it's about weighing up the pros and cons. Turning the buckle around might prevent her from unbuckling it (which is great) however you must be able to release a child from the seat with one quick action (which can be slowed down if the buckle is turned around). This is very important if the car has rolled upside down or a passer by is getting the child out of the restraint. e.g. car on fire.

It probably also negates the United States Standard I think which is why the buckle is read, so that it's immediately obvious to a rescuer in an emergency. If turning it around does negate the standard (probably using it in a way not intended by the manufacturer negates it also) there also might be some insurance difficulties if one does get in to an accident but I'm sure there are some CPST here who know better.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
childrestraintsafety said:
I guess it's about weighing up the pros and cons. Turning the buckle around might prevent her from unbuckling it (which is great) however you must be able to release a child from the seat with one quick action (which can be slowed down if the buckle is turned around). This is very important if the car has rolled upside down or a passer by is getting the child out of the restraint. e.g. car on fire.

It probably also negates the United States Standard I think which is why the buckle is read, so that it's immediately obvious to a rescuer in an emergency. If turning it around does negate the standard (probably using it in a way not intended by the manufacturer negates it also) there also might be some insurance difficulties if one does get in to an accident but I'm sure there are some CPST here who know better.

Don't know too much about turning it around, but in case of an emergency the EMTs or medics will simply remove the child IN the carseat. They're not going to take the kid out if there's been an accident. Just as the carseat protects the spine during an accident, it can be used to protect the spine afterward, rather than removing the child from the seat and putting them on a pediatric backboard. They'll cut the seatbelt or LATCH straps and tether and remove the seat with the child in it, tape their head down so they can't move it forward, apply a c collar, and they're gone. Maybe if the baby was choking or something and 911 was called for that reason, but if that was the case mom would have pulled over, gotten her phone, call them, and no doubt by the time EMS got there the child would be out already.

Wendy

C

childrestraintsafety

wendytthomas said:
Don't know too much about turning it around, but in case of an emergency the EMTs or medics will simply remove the child IN the carseat. They're not going to take the kid out if there's been an accident. Just as the carseat protects the spine during an accident, it can be used to protect the spine afterward, rather than removing the child from the seat and putting them on a pediatric backboard. They'll cut the seatbelt or LATCH straps and tether and remove the seat with the child in it, tape their head down so they can't move it forward, apply a c collar, and they're gone. Maybe if the baby was choking or something and 911 was called for that reason, but if that was the case mom would have pulled over, gotten her phone, call them, and no doubt by the time EMS got there the child would be out already.

Wendy

There wont be such a choice in the event of a car fire I'd imagine.

markf1971

Senior Community Member
I'm not familiar with the Britax Eclipse. Is this an older seat? If it is then may not meet the latest FMVSS213 requirements. The buckle release requires a certain amount of force to release. Does your buckle release require a much force to release as a newer car seat?

skaterbabs

The US doesn't have the one-step release requirement that is popular in Europe (thus the chest clip). In case of a crash when the child must be quickly removed, the EMT will simply cut the seatbelt with a tool used for this purpose. Even for a LATChed seat (which can be a bear to undo for some seats/vehicles!) they'll just cut the straps.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Unless I'm mistaken, the Britax Eclipse is a UK seat.

While I understand the concern, I think, providing nothing else is working (talking to, punishments, rewards, watching of crash test videos, etc) flipping the buckle would be acceptable.

Statistically, the car is far more likely to crash than it is to catch fire. We've seen the videos for a loose child in the car - I'd rather have the child harnessed w/ the buckle flipped.

But that could just be me.

Abby

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I suggest checking with the manufacturer before flipping it around.

Also, living room floor role play exercises in the carseat comparing safely restrained vs. unsafely restrained can be quite effective, as can "knighting" kiddo the buckle guardian :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC