"smart"airbags?

U

Unregistered

My sister-in-law just purchased a Jeep Liberty and was told the front passenger side air bag was safe for anyone over 70 lbs. Does anyone know wether this is true? I know kids should always be in back but I can't convince them, (nor can I convince them the 5 yr old should be in a booster) they are waiting for their 8 yr old son to weigh 70lbs so can ride in the front. Thanks in advance

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It is safer but not completely safe-

New airbag designs are safer than old ones. They reduce the risk to kids and other occupants, but they don't eliminate it. The main risk to kids in front is the frontal airbag, though the dash and proximity to the front of the vehicle add to the risk for all passengers in front. Side airbags are usually less of a concern. Some vehicles use sensors that disable them if they detect a child or small adult in the seat. Even so, sensors can be tricked, so they are not foolproof.

The recommendation is to keep kids 12 and under in back, regardless of their weight. Most vehicle owner's manuals will also state this. This is also the policy of the NHTSA, American Academy of Pediatrics and all other child passenger safety organizations.

That may not help you convince them. Sometimes people cannot be convinced no matter what you use to persuade them. They simply don't believe it can happen to them. That is part of the reason motor vehicle crashes are the #1 cause of death for kids and adults, ages 1-34 :-(

U

Unregistered

thanks

Thank you, by the way this site is great. I have always thought of myself as a concious parent when it comes to car seats but you guys have made me realize it's better to take the time and get the experts to check it out. I sent out a generic e-mail to my whole address book with a link to some booster seat info, maybe they'll read it. If not atleast I know I did my best.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC