Jeep Cherokee

kimba217

DH and I are thinking about getting rid of our Saturn Ion and getting a Jeep Cherokee. He would like it because it would be easier to get in and out of, and our 8mo in and out of as well. I would like it because we are planning on having 2 more in the next 4 years or so and would like to plan ahead for the vehicle.

My only concern is fitting the three seats across. My guess is when we have all three it will be a booster, a combo, and an infant seat for a while. Does anyone know if they'll fit?

ADS

mollymoo

I can only get 2 seats in my cherokee. I want a new car so i can fit 3 seats in. I wouldn't get this car over again during the "car seat years"
I hope you find what you are looking for!

skaterbabs

It really depends on the year and model Cherokee you choose. it is possible to do three across, but it's a tight fit and you must choose the seats carefully.

skipspin

If you're looking at an 08 Cherokee you should be aware that the headrests can cause install issues with FFing car seats in the outboard positions. They are not removeable.

I'd test drive one to BRU and see if you can make some seats work for you.

I have a 4 door Jeep Wrangler JK and there is a trick to push the headrests back out of the way in that- but it doesn't work in the Cherokee. It also doesn't work with a booster seat.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Are you thinking about getting an old "Cherokee" model or a newer "Grand Cherokee"?

If you buy a new Grand Cherokee you'll be in for some major car seat headaches so consider yourself warned. The '07 and '08 GC models have fixed headrests that angle forward in the outboard backseat positions. These headrests are not adjustable and are not removable. This creates a huge issue because it makes the outboard seating positions incompatible with a large number of forward-facing car seats. Personally, I would avoid these new fixed-headrest models like the plague unless you only have one child and never plan to have any more (obviously not the case in your situation).

There are similar headrest issues with the Jeep Commander, at least one of the newest Ford SUVs (sorry, can't remember which one) and possibly others. So make sure you take a good look at the headrests in the back seat of any vehicle you are considering if it's a newish model. Anything 2006 or older shouldn't be a problem in this regard.

HTH!

Kecia

jdchic3

We have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and they are deceptively small. I really wish we had gone with a different 'midsized' SUV. We have 2 RF Britax Marathons in ours and are practically eating the dash in the front seats. I'm always wondering how safe DH and I are. If it were me I'd be getting at least a slightly larger vehicle, like a Nissan Pathfinder (which supposedly has GREAT side impact ratings) or a Ford Explorer. It sounds like the newer body style of the Grand Cherokee also has shild restraint install issues, so while they are nice vehicles, I'd presonally steer clear. As always, just my :twocents:

kimba217

Thank you all so so much for your input. The model we are looking at currently is a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We will have to test drive it and bring the two seats we have so far and see what we think. One of the reasons we are looking at an SUV is because DH can't stand how far up he has to sit with the Titan we have installed in our car right now - so it is good to know the problem may not be resolved with a jeep.

Thanks again for all of your great information. I wasn't sure I'd get any replies as there are so many posts in this forum. You may have saved us from a costly mistake!:thumbsup:

With the law that may pass (or has passed) in Utah with the booster seat age being raised to 8 we may be in the carseat stage for a long time to come and I want to have a vehicle that will last use through that stage.

crunchierthanthou

How old is the child in the Titan? Toddlers and older babies with good head control can be as upright as 30 degrees. The line on the side isn't that accurate and is more for newborns who need a 45 degree recline. What vehicle are you currently driving?

I'm a tech in UT. PM me if you need some help with your seats or vehicle. :)

kimba217

For right now we only have the one child, a 8.5 month old chunker, he's over 23 pounds! So we have the infant seat that we no longer use since he grew out of it which is a evenflo embrace I believe, and we have the Titan. We are just trying to plan ahead and are planning on two more kids in the next four-five years. That would leave us with one-two in boosters or combinations and an infant seat for a while, right? I have no idea. What kind of seats would you have with a 4 year old, 2 year old and newborn for instance? I'm obviously all new to the car seat stuff!

skaterbabs

There are new seats coming out all the time, so I would suggest you worry about future children when they arrive. ;)

That said, you may want to consider a different vehicle however. Yes, it CAN be done, but it can be stressfull trying to find the right seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC