What would you do?

murphysmommy

Well, the new Regent install took a turn for the worst today. I finally had time this morning to work on getting it installed correctly. My DS is 34# (all this time I thought he was at least 35 but dr's appt on Thursday confirmed 34--just barely!) and 41" tall. He either needed the LBP or the LBP LATCH. Since we're big LATCH fans, we figured we'd just install the new long latch we received in our "kit." Anyway, much to our chagrin, it wasn't all that easy removing the short LATCH belt and, in the process of applying "significant force" (as stated by the instructions) to remove the belt, my husband broke off about a third of the EPS foam (at the very bottom).

Well, I'm at a loss as to what to do. He offered to glue it back on (!) but I know better than that -- at the very least, it would probably void my warranty (which, BTW, I saw was only a year! I'm nearing the end of that anyway) and at the most it could be devastating. I tried to call Britax customer service but it's only open during the worst hours of the week (8-3:30 or some God awful "we don't care if YOU have work to do" hours).
Question is: what would you do? Would you demand a brand new seat from Britax since it was in the process of following their crazy instructions that the foam broke in the first place? Would you simply ask for another "piece" of EPS foam? Would you freak out, demand a refund and try to make do with a Radian until the new Recaro comes out?

My husband is beyond angry. He can't believe that a $290 seat required so much "additional work" and he swears we can't be the only ones that this happened to.

Sorry for the long post...I'm just so, so frustrated right now. Thanks for your help (commisery!).
MM

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
1st I'd call & see what they say -- if a piece of foam is all it takes, then I wouldn't demand a new seat.... Also, I'd calm DH by explaining that it might not have taken all that if the seatbelt had been attempted instead :eek:

murphysmommy

Hmm...somehow I doubt that would calm him!! Seatbelt installations are certainly harder than LATCH (after all, that's the point of LATCH, right?? It's easier to install!) And I truly doubt that he anticipated the difficulty in removing the LATCH strap. After all, in our old Roundabout, it was VERY easy to remove and flip around from FF to RF and back again. It's just infuriating that, in the process of trying to do the right thing and following the instructions exactly, the seat ends up broken (all to easily).

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
dh broke our foam, i took it back to the store. but then i foudn out the britax says to just put it back in its place and leave it...

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Hmm...somehow I doubt that would calm him!! Seatbelt installations are certainly harder than LATCH (after all, that's the point of LATCH, right?? It's easier to install!) And I truly doubt that he anticipated the difficulty in removing the LATCH strap. After all, in our old Roundabout, it was VERY easy to remove and flip around from FF to RF and back again. It's just infuriating that, in the process of trying to do the right thing and following the instructions exactly, the seat ends up broken (all to easily).

not all latch installations are easier. i assure you.

murphysmommy

Wow! Really?! I'm shocked! Of course, like DH said, if all that is keeping this seat from ruin is that thin piece of styrofoam, then maybe it's not the safest after all. Hmmm...I guess I could go ahead and install it. I was just worried that the crack would make the seat more vulnerable.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor

I agree not all LATCH installations are easier. Have you even attempted the LBP seatbelt installation? It is SUPER easy and I find I get a much better installation with the seatbelt. I have my 43lb dd Regent in my Tahoe (LATCH vehicle) with the seatbelt as I get a much better installation.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Wow! Really?! I'm shocked! Of course, like DH said, if all that is keeping this seat from ruin is that thin piece of styrofoam, then maybe it's not the safest after all. Hmmm...I guess I could go ahead and install it. I was just worried that the crack would make the seat more vulnerable.

The missing EPS form will not make the seat more vulnerable. It's still as safe seat but I would contact Britax about getting a replacement piece. I have seen other manufacture seats do the samething. Remember it's just a piece of foam and to much force will break it.

Connor's Mom

I agree not all LATCH installations are easier. Have you even attempted the LBP seatbelt installation? It is SUPER easy and I find I get a much better installation with the seatbelt. I have my 43lb dd Regent in my Tahoe (LATCH vehicle) with the seatbelt as I get a much better installation.

Ditto. We where unable to obtain a good install using the LATCH on the Regent. After playing with it for awhile I am able to install the Regent LBP, with recline bar and tethered outboard passenger side in my 2001 Rodeo in about 5 minuets flat. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC