Opinions on SUVs

armywife12

I'm playing around with the idea of trading in or selling my 08 Grand Caravan for a smaller vehicle, like an SUV. Our family won't be growing as fast as I had originally planned so I'm looking to downsize. Our budget will depend on how much we can get for the van but I'm thinking around $11k-12K but preferably no more than $14,000. I would like something that gets decent miles, three rows or possibly just a second row that is able to fit two car seats and an adult comfortably. I only have one right now but, if I get my way, I hope to be pregnant sometime next year so we're looking at possibly a 2011 baby. I'd also prefer to get something with less than 50,000 miles and something that is an 06ish and newer...I know I'm asking a lot here...lol. So far, I've found a few 07 and 08 Pacificas that match exactly what I am looking for. I've also found a nice 08 Jeep Compass Sport, an 08 Equinox, an 07 Freestyle, a few 06 Mariners and quite a few 06-07 Outlanders. I need opinions on these seats if you have any. I am also very interested in safety ratings of course. When we do have another baby, Caleb will be forward facing in a Frontier so we'll need room for that, a rear facing infant or convertible seat(MyRide or True Fit since we already have both of those), and an adult passenger when we drive ppl around. What do you all think? I've also found a few Suzuki Vitaras and XL7s but know nothing about them and, from what I found, they don't get great mileage. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated as well. Thanks so much for the help!

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
For safety ratings, check out http://www.informedforlife.org/ The only catch with the site is that any ratings that have NOT yet been evaluation by NHTSA or IIHS get an "average" score, which could mean that the vehicle gets a lower/higher score than it should. But, you can enter your own values for the unrated areas, so you can enter #'s based on previous model years, etc.

And if the vehicle you're checking out has had every area rated by NHTSA and IIHS, you're golden. :thumbsup:

armywife12

Thanks everyone. We ended up with an 08 Hyundai Veracruz that rates very well but the mileage isn't much different than the van we traded in. It was also over my price range but I think we can make it work. We love it so far!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC