Do I need to replace my seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put my van in the ditch today. Gravel roads are horrible in the winter!!
Anyway I am not sure exactly how fast I was going. Maybe 40-45 mph. I hit a patch of loose gravel and felt my backend spin out, I then hit ice and slid into the ditch. Both passenger side tires came off the rims. A few pieces of plastic came loose. The air bags did not deploy. To be honest if the tires hadn't come off the rims, I could have pulled my car out with a tractor and drove away-at least that is how it looks. It is at the body shop making sure everything else is ok and to see how much I get to spend on repairs.
I am fine, just a little stiff, and the only carseat that was occupied was the baby's. Yes she seems fine also, she slept through the whole thing. One carseat was in my trunk, not installed.
Do I need to replace any or all of them?
Please help.
Thank you in advance
Deb

ADS

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Check out the manufacturer's guidelines. I personally would say that since YOU are feeling 'stiff' from the accident, that it was enough of an accident to definintely replace the infant seat. I'm not sure about the seat in the trunk though - you might have to call the mfr. for their stance on that one. Glad to hear you guys are OK. Also, check out your insurance's policy on replacing seats.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Yes I would replace them most manufacturers say to replace after any collision. Even if they are Britax seats the vehicle wasn't drivable and they should still be replaced.

VoodooChile

Here's a great article by a member of this community on this topic: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9575
You didn't mention what brands your seats are, but I think all are covered in this article. As far as I know, manufacturers' instructions trump the NHTSA criteria. I would also call the manufacturer on the seat that was in the trunk, but I'd bet it got bumped around quite a bit in the trunk.
I'm glad everyone's okay and I hope you're feeling better soon! Take a hot bath and get a massage :D

The seat in the trunk was an evenflo triumph deluxe.
The baby's seat is a graco safe-seat.
I also had a radian installed.
And a turbo booster.

I am going to read the article and call the manufacturers tomorrow.

I called graco and they said both the safeseat and turbo booster need to be replaced.
Evenflo said the triumph needs to replaced even though it was not installed.
Sunshine kids said the raidian65 does not need to be replaced. They said they repeatedly crashed that carseat with a 65lb dummy and it was fine. They also said since it was unoccupied it definitely wasn't a concern.

So now to order 3 new seats. Don't know what to do till the new ones get here, but there is nothing close enough to run and get new ones.

Splash79

I'm definately no tech, but from what I've read on here, the techs on the board tend to say that if you HAVE to drive the kids before the new seats arrive, that using a seat that's been in a collision is safer than no seat at all. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
I'm definately no tech, but from what I've read on here, the techs on the board tend to say that if you HAVE to drive the kids before the new seats arrive, that using a seat that's been in a collision is safer than no seat at all. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rather than imply a consensus on a topic like this one, it would be preferable to link to comments made by certified technicians. This way, other readers can see the information in context.

Chameleon

Sorry, I've just seen this said multiple times on here before.

I've actually never heard that before. Or seen it said on here.

And no I don't believe it's safe to drive the kids around in seats that have been crashed. I would either borrow from a trusted friend or not drive at all.

Splash79

I've read through ALOT of posts the past couple of days (trying to learn the ins and outs of carseats) and allthough I didn't count, I know I saw it said atleast 3 times.

Chameleon

Britax is the only one that allows the use of the seat after a minor crash. The OP did not have any Britax seats.

Splash79

I didn't say permanently. I said that if you HAVE to leave the house before the new seats arrive, say that the kid needs to go to school or the dr, that some here have said it's better to use a seat involved in a minor crash rather than NO seat at all.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. ;)

Never use a seat that has been in an accident that must be replaced. Get someone to watch your children while you go to the store; take a bus; or order the seat and have it delivered.

There is absolutely NO reason good enough to use a crashed seat to transport your children. :)

The seat in the trunk was an evenflo triumph deluxe.
The baby's seat is a graco safe-seat.
I also had a radian installed.
And a turbo booster.

I am going to read the article and call the manufacturers tomorrow.

Evenflo's policy is that their carseat be replaced after ANY accident. Even a small fender bender. I was in a small accident, couldn't been goign more than 10 miles an hr when the neighbor backed into me. but Evenflo told me to have it replace. Their CS was wonderful, the jumped on it immediately, sent me the proper paper work to give to the guys insurance company to have the seat replaced.

Lea_Ontario

I didn't say permanently. I said that if you HAVE to leave the house before the new seats arrive, say that the kid needs to go to school or the dr, that some here have said it's better to use a seat involved in a minor crash rather than NO seat at all.

No - then you call a trusted friend with seats, or you take public transit (bus), or you walk, or reschedule your appointment - or just stay home for a few days.

Melizerd

I agree that NOTHING would get me to put my son in a seat that had been in an accident. I would use a seat from a trusted friend, send someone to get me seats, walk or not go. No questions!

southpawboston

i must be in the minority then (or am i a troll??? ;)), since i don't see every situation as black and white. i think if i were in a minor fender bender where it was pretty obvious no significant crash force was involved and it met NHTSA's requirements, i would still use the carseat to at least bring kiddo home, and maybe use it until a new one arrives.

this forces me to ask the question: what if you hit a really big bump in the road, and it jolts the passengers more than a fender bender? would you replace your carseat then??????

i know i'll be jumped on for this response but that's my parental position and i'm sticking with it :p. if it were a significant accident that didn't meet NHTSA's criteria for keeping the seat, then i wouldn't ever use it, even for a short trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC