How do you shlep 2 big car seats through airports?

panta

Now that both kids are in large carseats (ie, out of the infant car seat), how do we get both car seats and our carry ons (full of kid stuff for the flight mainly) through the airport? I've seen those things to attach car seats to luggage, but we bought one and it did not work with our carseats. Suggestions? Don't want to spend tons of $$, but I really don't know how to carry it all.

ADS

cantabdad

Everybody seems to have their favorite method for this and the "best" approach will depend a lot on what carseats are involved, how old the kids are, whether you have another adult with you, how far you have to walk when changing planes (if applicable), and so on.

For our family, we usually just pile the carseat(s) in an empty stroller, leaving the kids to walk or be carried/babyworn, depending on their ages.

Some carseats like the Radian can also be worn as a backpack with padded shoulder straps, leaving your hands free. I've sometimes worn the Radian and then carried a Britax.

I've never used any of the various wheeled carts, but they do look convenient and some folks swear by them. I'm seeing them more and more often at airports, too. You mentioned that the one you tried didn't fit, though.

Olga

I think it depends, as the person above said. For us, we have only travelled with one kiddo so far and she was typically in a stroller while going through the airport so the carseat was either draped over the handles of the stroller or attached to the handle of the carry-on wheely suitcase. With two seats I would consider doing one of each or as already mentioned piling the seats into an empty stroller.

jasminegrl

we used a luggage cart and put one right side up and the other upside down so they sort of puzzled together, i used bungee cords but that was a bad idea, i should have used ratchet straps cuz the bungee cords would stretch when we went over a bump and the carseats would slide.

kaharris83

We use a luggage cart. Our travel seats nest inside one another. Then we use a luggage strap to secure them to the cart. One of the kids can ride inside this combination as well through the airport.

aeormsby

1 or 2 adults? And how old are the kids? My answer may be different depending on that.

When I traveled on my own with both kids we decided it to get the Safeguard Go so there was only 1 'big' (convertible) seat to lug with. It worked OK like that, the convertible was strapped in the stroller or on a luggage cart with the other seat on top, younger child in the Ergo, older child walking. Only a diaper bag/backpack for carry-ons besides the carseats.

With 2 adults it's definitely easier without going to something like the Go or a travel vest for the older child.

ETA - once the kids were 3-4yo they could manage pulling a small kid-sized carry on with their entertainment to the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC