Convertible car seat under $75?

U

Unregistered

We need an inexpensive car seat that won't be used often. The seat needs to be installed in a late-1990's Honda Accord (not sure of the exact year) and we want it to go in the center. Our budget for this seat is $75 (before tax and we're hoping for free shipping if it needs to be ordered online). We'd like to rear-face as long as possible, but we can replace the seat later if there's nothing good that will last long enough. Our kid is on the smaller side anyway.

We have a Target Card (5% off) and an extra 5% off coupon and I think that there's some kind of $20 off of $100 coupon right now? So if it were a seat that's available at Target, it could be as much as $100 or so and still be okay. We also have a 20% off Babies R Us coupon and a 20% off Buy Buy Baby coupon, so we can go up to about $95 at either of those places.

I had planned on a sure ride and seen a few in-budget, but then they were recalled and now I can't find any at the places where I have coupons. Plus I just heard they got recalled and so I don't know if the ones that are for sale now are okay or if they are the recalled ones.

I'm also looking at the Guide 65.

Any other suggestions besides these two? I know about the Scenara and the Apt too, but I'm a little nervous about buying a car seat that comes in a plastic bag. Are these good seats?

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Those are the two that come to mind without knowing the age, weight, and height of the child. The Scenera is perfectly safe. They're shipping to the store like Pringles in a can, then set out on the shelves (if you buy a seat that's shipped like that online it often comes in a plain brown box because another box had to be gotten because the sleeve doesn't fit just one).

If you can find a SureRide they're perfectly safe to use. The issue is one of the buckle sticking. Buy it, then call Evenflo for a new buckle.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you for the responses. Are the Titan 65 and the Sureride exactly the same? Why are they priced so differently? I will see if anyone wants to split the two pack with us...that would be awesome if it works out.

Is the Sureride/Titan hard to install? I only see one level line on the seat, while the Guide 65 has a more upright one for older babies. I'm a little worried about the Sureride fitting in the car. My husband is tall. Do you have to move the seats up a lot with the Sureride? Do older kids still like being so reclined?

The babe is 14 months and about 18.5 lbs. Not positive on height, but definitely under 30" tall. Still fits in a B-Safe.

Also, where do you buy "pool noodles"? (Is it just in the swim toy section or are there special car seat ones?) and will we need them in the Accord if we get either a Sureride/Titan or a Guide 65?

Thanks!

Keeanh

Thank you for the responses. Are the Titan 65 and the Sureride exactly the same? Why are they priced so differently? I will see if anyone wants to split the two pack with us...that would be awesome if it works out.

Is the Sureride/Titan hard to install? I only see one level line on the seat, while the Guide 65 has a more upright one for older babies. I'm a little worried about the Sureride fitting in the car. My husband is tall. Do you have to move the seats up a lot with the Sureride? Do older kids still like being so reclined?

The babe is 14 months and about 18.5 lbs. Not positive on height, but definitely under 30" tall. Still fits in a B-Safe.

Also, where do you buy "pool noodles"? (Is it just in the swim toy section or are there special car seat ones?) and will we need them in the Accord if we get either a Sureride/Titan or a Guide 65?

Thanks!

You shouldn't need pool noodles unless your seats are quite sloped. I find the seat actually doesn't take up a ton of room. About the same as a MyRide, if you've ever happened to try one of those. I personally fudge the recline a little for older kids. You know, so it still looks level to the eye, even if it's not perfect.

I think baby has to be 22lbs to use the more upright line on the Guide. But at that point the Guide will be the more compact. I would try both if you can. I wish I had a Guide65 to compare for you :(

Pool noodles might be hard to come by this time of year. You could use a rolled towel until the noodles start showing up in the dollar stores, hardware stores, dept stores, etc. in a month or two.

1mommy

I have a Guide 65, and while it's a decent budget seat I do need pool noodles to install it in my Toyota Avalon. But I also briefly had the SureRide before I realized it wouldn't work in my husbands truck. Anyways of the two I found the SureRide easier to install and use, and not need noodles to install. Both are decent budget seats and will last you until your child reaches 40" standing height rear facing. If you can find it I would buy the SureRide, but if you can't the Guide 65 is another good seat. The Titan 65 is a more budget version of the SureRide, basically the same seat but just a more economy cover.

Olga

We have a SureRide and I think it's exactly the same as the Titan 65 because the manual that came with ours has both the SureRide and Titan 65 name on it. I'm sure if it was a different seat with different features they would need a different manual. And from what I've seen around here the Titan 65 only has a brownish seat cover that is not very attractive while the SureRide comes in a number of colours, which I'm guessing accounts for part of the price. Also more retailers seem to carry the SureRide.

Re: pool noodles, I just saw them the other day at a local dollar store so they are definitely starting to pop up. And I'm in Canada so I imagine a warmer place would be more likely to have them. A bargain price of $1.25 for the ones I saw.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The only difference is the covers. Titan 65 covers are either cheap fabric (in the case of Burlington) or factory select (institutional sources like childsource.) I also think the Titan might not come with the little clippy-on fold-out cupholder for forward-facing?

U

Unregistered

The only difference is the covers. Titan 65 covers are either cheap fabric (in the case of Burlington) or factory select (institutional sources like childsource.) I also think the Titan might not come with the little clippy-on fold-out cupholder for forward-facing?

I see that the Titan 65 is now available online again at Burlington for $60. How cheap of fabric are we talking about? Is it scratchy-cheap? Difficult-to-clean cheap? Fall-apart cheap? Uncushioned cheap?

I see that it's not as pretty as a Sugar Plum Sureride, but if it does the same job, I think it might fit the bill. If we're going to hate the fabric because it's uncomfortable for our kid, though, then I might just look for a way to bring down the price of the Sureride as much as possible.

Sounds like the Sureride/Titan 65 is a clear winner over the Guide 65?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's just a little thinner padding, and less soft, and an uglier color. It's still decent, in my opinion. One advantage is that the thinner padding actually gives you about 1/4 inch more harness height.

The fabric on the T65 is, in my opinion, still as nice or nicer than that on most of the Guide 65 Sport models (the Sport is the cheap one, right?)

I also am really not a fan of the headwings being so forward-pointing on the Guide, I've seen several kids who had issues because of it. And it definitely doesn't last as long forward-facing by height.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hey OP! Thanks for posting this thread! I also have a late-90s Accord and was looking for an inexpensive seat for it, so I've been following this thread closely! I happen to have a Burlington Coat Factory near my work and so I stopped in and checked out the Titan 65. It was on the shelf, along with several other Evenflo seats, and there was one in a box too.

I've attached a picture.

It was definitely less padded than the Sureride or the Guide 65 Sports, in my opinion, but the material seemed fine -- not scratchy or anything. Just very plain and not plush.

My person plan is to get it for our Accord. I won't be buying it super-soon, but when I do I can post pictures of the install, if you'd like, and let you know if I needed any noodles or anything.

Thanks again for posting this question! I had no idea that the Titan 65 was available at all! Seems like a great deal for those of us looking for a long-lasting seat at a low price!

PS-- it DOES have the cup holder -- you can see it in the pic. Also, it might be a little hard to see in the pic, but the fabric at the center is a zig-zag pattern

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Hey OP! Thanks for posting this thread! I also have a late-90s Accord and was looking for an inexpensive seat for it, so I've been following this thread closely! I happen to have a Burlington Coat Factory near my work and so I stopped in and checked out the Titan 65. It was on the shelf, along with several other Evenflo seats, and there was one in a box too.

I've attached a picture.

It was definitely less padded than the Sureride or the Guide 65 Sports, in my opinion, but the material seemed fine -- not scratchy or anything. Just very plain and not plush.

My person plan is to get it for our Accord. I won't be buying it super-soon, but when I do I can post pictures of the install, if you'd like, and let you know if I needed any noodles or anything.

Thanks again for posting this question! I had no idea that the Titan 65 was available at all! Seems like a great deal for those of us looking for a long-lasting seat at a low price!

PS-- it DOES have the cup holder -- you can see it in the pic. Also, it might be a little hard to see in the pic, but the fabric at the center is a zig-zag pattern

Thanks. I can't see the pic, but I'd appreciate hearing how well it installs in your Honda Accord after you get it. We are leaning toward it.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hey, just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten that I was going to update you on how it installs!

I actually went to Burlington Coat Factory today to buy the Titan 65 for $60 and they didn't have any in stock. I ended up buying a small item and at the checkout they gave me a coupon for 20% off of a single item on my next purchase. So that brings it down to $48! Definitely a bargain, even with the unattractive cover! For that price you could buy a second Sureride cover from Evenflo and still come out ahead.

I'm pretty psyched, but unfortunately the coupon isn't valid until next week, so I am going to be waiting around a bit.

Just wanted to let you know in case the same deal is going on elsewhere. I don't know if they are giving out those coupons with every transaction or if I was the nth selected customer or something.

I'll let you know how the install goes, but it probably won't be until late next week.

kaharris83

Hey, just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten that I was going to update you on how it installs!

I actually went to Burlington Coat Factory today to buy the Titan 65 for $60 and they didn't have any in stock. I ended up buying a small item and at the checkout they gave me a coupon for 20% off of a single item on my next purchase. So that brings it down to $48! Definitely a bargain, even with the unattractive cover! For that price you could buy a second Sureride cover from Evenflo and still come out ahead.

I'm pretty psyched, but unfortunately the coupon isn't valid until next week, so I am going to be waiting around a bit.

Just wanted to let you know in case the same deal is going on elsewhere. I don't know if they are giving out those coupons with every transaction or if I was the nth selected customer or something.

I'll let you know how the install goes, but it probably won't be until late next week.

They email you a 20% coupon for signing up for their emails at Burlington Coat Factory online as well. The coupon is valid right away.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Okay, so I had a scare when I tried out the Sureride in my Impreza and it didn't fit at all. I was nervous that it wouldn't fit in the Accord, so I tried it out at BRU before we buy the Titan 65 at Burlington.

It fits perfectly, but only in the center -- on either side it goes pretty far into the front passenger/driver space, but in the center it installed nicely so that it went between the front headrests, but didn't touch them. There was also just enough room that I could sit in either side of it and buckle my seatbelt without too much difficulty, although I didn't try installing a seat next to it.

My Accord is a 98 and I remember you weren't sure what year yours was, so your mileage may vary.

I'm attaching a picture -- I know you said that you couldn't see the other one, but if you create a (free!) account I think you can see the pics.

Good luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 22

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC