Pushing chest clip down - safe option?

Jan06twinmom

My friend's daughter was pushing the chest clip on her car seat down off of her chest. She has her DD in a Britax roundabout. She said she is using the Bevera sealing clips from IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70083252/) below the clip. She puts the sealing clip below the chest clip and her DD wasn't able to move the chest clip down anymore.

Do you know if this is a safe option?

If it is not a safe option, can you please explain why?

Thanks!

Melanie

ADS

tam_shops

Yes, that is a bag for sealing chips/cookies ie open bags.

I would *not* do that. I would worry that it may either pop off in an accident and hit a child in the face/head, you know that sippy cup to the head child, sort of theory.

I would either put a coat on the child backwards.
or
I would put a fleece (or other light) jacket on the child unzipped. Then put the child in the car seat. Do up the straps. Pull the jacket out/around the straps. Do the zipper up *over* the straps.

tam

Kat_Momof3

I like it in THEORY... because it obviously solves the problem, wouldn't interfere with the harness fit and it doesn't involve duct tape or something that can't be removed later... and it's pretty inexpensive.

HOWEVER... in ACTUALITY, you're adding something to the seat the manufacturer doesn't approve of.

I wish they could/would offer something like this with the seat for this purpose... and what an easy inexpensive type of thing it would be.

HOWEVER without proper testing, we don't know what damage it might do to the straps, not to mention the projectile issue the pp mentioned.

How old is the child? I know it's getting to be summertime, so what I would do is put a vest on the kiddo and do it like the carseat coat cheat... zip it up OVER the tightened harness... see if that deters the kid. (or take a very thin jacket that is otherwise outgrown (arms too short but otherwise fits) and cut the sleeves off

honeydew

I have those Ikea clips and I wouldn't worry about them damaging a harness. That said, I'd never recommend someone use them for the reasons already stated.

I'll attach a picture of the inside of the clip. The worst I imagine it could do is leave a dent in the harness but again, it's not something I would want to bargain with.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Attachments

• image-1243812653.jpg
    image-1243812653.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image-586708862.jpg
    image-586708862.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 7

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I wouldn't use it because there's no way to know what it does to the harness or what would happen in a crash.

How old is she?

Kat_Momof3

I know it looks a lot like a lockoff to me... and so I doubt it would do OBVIOUS damage, but (I assume) carseat companies do a lot of testing before approving lockoffs... and those go on seatbelts that are (again I assume) made quite differently than harnesses and then we have still on occasion had ones we don't like that dent our seatbelts for quite sometime or have even done worse. Harnesses aren't made to have to hold the weights seatbelts are, which is why I assume they aren't made to the same degree of tightly woven ultra strong stuff and why I worry that there would be some small degree of unseen damage.

Again, I would love to see something like this be designed, tested, and allowed (maybe even with a strap that connects them to the carseat or the carseat cover)

honeydew, see if you can take some with you if you go to the next ABC and see if you can harass a carseat manufacturer into it please!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC