tether question for GMC acadia

U

Unregistered

Hi I have a GMC acadia. I am wanting to put my sons frontier in the third row but it only has one tether in the middle. I am needing him on one side so that I can still fold part of the seat down ( 60/40 split). Can I put the frontier on the side and use the middle tether? Or is it a must that it be tethered? The seat is funny in the middle ( very small with a weird hump). I can't get a good install in the middle.
Thank you.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can't use a tether for a different position. The Frontier must be tethered after 65 pounds harnessed.

Wendy

Maedze

No, unfortunately, if you want to put your child in the third row, the only position with a tether anchor is the middle one, and you can't borrow it for a side position.

U

Unregistered

ok. So if he is under 65 lbs it doesn't have to be tethered? Is it still as safe? He is 40. And in the harness.

Maedze

ok. So if he is under 65 lbs it doesn't have to be tethered? Is it still as safe? He is 40. And in the harness.

No, it does not *have* to be tethered. However, tethering is a huge difference in safety and very important to the safety of the seat. I would never recommend that a parent not tether a seat for a reason of convenience.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Looks like US IP to me. :)

That center position in the 3rd row in kind of a pain in the butt. If you have a Marathon or EFTA those seats both install well ff'ing back there and have good height and weight limits - is it possible to put a different child back there and then put the frontier in the 2nd row? Or just use a different seat? (I know not everyone has multiple seats to choose from, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. ;))

U

Unregistered

I am in the US. It isn't a big deal. I have a toddler RF in a marathon in the captains seat, one child in the frontier in the other captains seat and two older kids in seatbelts in the back. I was trying to make it easier for the older kids to get in the third row. The RF marathon and the frontier take up lots of space and its hard for the older kids to squeeze through after school in the pick up lane. But they will just have to deal and people waiting will have to be patient! : )

Anyone know if tethers can be added to the Acadia? I would love more flexability! And no..I don't have extra seats and the little one is far from ff. Wish I did!

Thanks for the help.

Maedze

I am in the US. It isn't a big deal. I have a toddler RF in a marathon in the captains seat, one child in the frontier in the other captains seat and two older kids in seatbelts in the back. I was trying to make it easier for the older kids to get in the third row. The RF marathon and the frontier take up lots of space and its hard for the older kids to squeeze through after school in the pick up lane. But they will just have to deal and people waiting will have to be patient! : )

Could you put your toddler rear facing in the third row all the way over to the side, leaving room for your big kids next to him?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Could you put your toddler rear facing in the third row all the way over to the side, leaving room for your big kids next to him?

There's no headrest in the middle of the 3rd row, so it would depend on height of the kids or if they have boosters. The position is narrow as well, and contoured strangely, so it could be difficult to buckle a booster there. I think provided the 2nd row was moved forward, the Marathon would install fine there. It would more be a matter of loading the child in. There's enough cargo space behind the 3rd row that you'd have to climb right in to the cargo space in order to load from the back, but if it's a child in a seatbelt next to the kiddo then it may be possible to sit beside kiddo to buckle in. (We have an Outlook which is identical to the Acadia in terms of the 3rd row.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC