ParkwaySG, Turbo, X-fit, Olli, Vivo, Monterey & Probooster- a comparison PIC HEAVY

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
So, there has been a lot of requests recently for recommendations for smaller kids in boosters. I've amassed a decent collection of the most-frequently recommended, so I hope that helps someone. The only things I don't have on hand is a Monterrey and a Oobr (although I did take pics with the Olli, just to see lap belt fit). Pictures are taken in a 2011 Town and Country, in the drivers-side captains chair, with the seat all the way back. DD is 40lbs on the nose with this clothing and boots on (I weighed her as we walked out to do pics). But she fluctuates between 38-42 depending on what's she's been eating and how long it's been since she's pooped (sorry TMI). She's between 44 and 45 inches tall; 45 with the boots on, with about a 17inch torso (she's almost outgrown the Radian XT in this vehicle)

First up: Parkway SG, 3rd "notch" (2 clicks up)
Parkwayfront.jpg

The shoulder belt is barely on her shoulder.
Parkwayside.jpg

Even with the SG - I feel like the lap belt is too high. The straps for the SG are too long for her, and without the SG it's the same (I didn't take a pic, sorry).

Next: Graco Turbo Booster "regular" version, not Elite):

Fit is OK, this is 2 clicks up, I think I could go one higher. My main issue with the turbo is the amount of room on either side of her body. My main feeling about the Turbo is "meh" - the fit is OK, but I'm not in love.
Turbo5front.jpg

Turboside.jpg

Cybex Solution X-fit (5th or 6th notch, I can't remember and I'm not taking it out to figure it out):
Is my current favorite. The LATCH is futuristically cool, but CRAZY hard to remove in my sloped seats. I curse like a sailor every time. Also, the reclining headrest is super cool.

Cybexfront.jpg

Cybexside.jpg

ETAL: the way the shoulder belt feeds is kind of weird. I wanted to keep everything exactly the same for the pictures, but in real life I move the vehicle seat up a little bit so that the belt feeds more smoothly.

After I realized how low the bottom slot is, I decided to try DS in it. He is 30lbs today with clothes and heavy tennies on, 34 inches tall. He is built the opposite to DD - he has broader shoulders (they're actually the same measurment from shoulder tip to shoulder tip, lol):

Asherfront.jpg

Asherside.jpg

Uhhh.... The fit is RIDICULOUSLY good. I mean, wow. I literally had to bribe him with candy to sit still for the 3 seconds to take the shot, so that should tell you how ready for a booster he is, lol.

Vivo pics are coming soon. I have to get it out of DH's car when he gets home. To tide you over, these are from a couple months ago (but her stats haven't really changed:

Vivo10-15.jpg

Vivo10-16.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

YinzerMama

Re: ParkwaySG, Turbo, X-fit, Olli and Vivo - a comparison PIC HEAVY

Heather - too much or too little room on either side with the turbo booster? She looks squished to me, wanted to check if that was what you meant?

Thanks for the pics. The parkway headrest looks like you'd need a pretty big kid for the belt to fit right since it's so wide - is that right?

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician

Adorable kids!

ericarizo

How many clicks does the X-Fix have?

canadiangie

Do I ever wish the Vivo was up here. Such a good fit.

christineka

Over in Europe you can get a shield for the cybex booster. I bet that's why it fits little kids so well.

I also like boosters to "hug" my kids. I love the bodyguard and its adjustable width seat for that reason.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member

Heather - too much or too little room on either side with the turbo booster? She looks squished to me, wanted to check if that was what you meant?

Thanks for the pics. The parkway headrest looks like you'd need a pretty big kid for the belt to fit right since it's so wide - is that right?

Too much. It's hard to tell, I guess I need an up-close "from above" shot - there's a solid 2 inches on either side of her bum, and even though she's NOT a wiggly kid, she tends to lean... and the leaning puts the shoulder belt off her shoulder. This one actually has a little extra padding on the seat (two little pillows on either side by the lap belt guides) that make it better. It's not an elite; it doesn't have the extra headwing pillows or side bolster pillows, these are like 2-3 inches and only on the 'backless' part of the booster.

Do I ever wish the Vivo was up here. Such a good fit.

I promise to try today, if it's still light outside when I get home (that's the biggest problem, with the dark interior of my van and my mostly-black boosters, they don't show up well)

I picked this shirt for her to wear so that it was easier to see where the shoulder belt hits her. The parkway is literally ON THE EDGE of her shoulder. I grudgingly admit that the Turbo isn't *that* bad... I just don't like the seat :eek: It feels to lightweight, shaky, "rickety" or something. I also wish it was more "enclosed" on the sides like the others (even the Parkway!)

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member

How many clicks does the X-Fix have?

Eleven, according to Cybex.

Like I mentioned earlier, it is a totally PITA to unLATCH this thing in my van. I'm sure in most vehicles it would be easier, but the $&!()#$&! seats are SO sloped, that it's just hard.

So when I went to figure out how many clicks, most of the boosters I just had her get out, turned the booster around, and "clicked" down to the bottom. With the X-fit, I wasn't taking it back out :eek: so I attempted to click it down WHILE LATCHed, which is easy, but not when you're trying to count at the same time, lol. So I'm *fairly* certain she's on the 5th click, but not 100%.

steph_s

If you move the head rest up on the pwky you will get a much better shoulder belt fit in your vehicle. For some reason in that van I always have to go up a click on the kids pwky and monterey for the shoulder belt to fit best.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Adding monterey and vivo pics!

I can't edit my OP for some reason... Here are pics of DD in the Vivo (in the same position as in the other pics, for comparison) and the Monterey. I had her wear the same shirt so that the comparison would be the same.

Monterey: 2 clicks up:

preview_image_0_94022282x.jpg

Monterey from the side:
preview_image_0_53121322x.jpg

Zoom in of lap-belt fit in the Monterey
preview_image_0_9953632x.jpg

Vivo, 3 clicks up:
preview_image_0_67166282x.jpg

Vivo, from the side:
preview_image_0_89974932x.jpg

Chila88

Re: ParkwaySG, Turbo, X-fit, Olli, Vivo & Monterey - a comparison PIC HEAVY

Thanks for the rest of the pics! So how do you feel about the Monterey? I think (judging by the box in the background) it is a new Diono one right? What do you drive and do you have any issues with the belt guide? Where does it place in comparison to all the others in your mind?

Going by the pics I really like the SIP the Monterey offers. It really wraps around the kids. Cool!

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Chila88 said:
Thanks for the rest of the pics! So how do you feel about the Monterey? I think (judging by the box in the background) it is a new Diono one right? What do you drive and do you have any issues with the belt guide? Where does it place in comparison to all the others in your mind?

Going by the pics I really like the SIP the Monterey offers. It really wraps around the kids. Cool!

Yes, it' a Diono, 9/11 dom. All the pics are in the drivers side captains chair of a 2011 Town and Country. The shoulder belt guide is terrible. I'm going to play with the vehicle seat some ( forward and back) to see if it helps, maybe try it in the 3rd row or something. It's completely caught in the belt guide. :mad:

IF the seat belt guide issue is fixed ( meaning, of I find a way to keep it from getting caught, I would place it after the Cybex and Vivo, before the Turbo. I love the leg support, the belt fit was good, the sides were "huggy" according to DD ( she likes more side support, like the Vivo). The adjustable sides are cool, though we'll never EVER need that feature. The LATCH, while not as futuristic and super cool as Cybex's, was easier to use in my super sloped captains chair.the fabric is really nice - DD hates plushy, I hate how snagged mesh gets. This is a nice compromise.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor

Yes, it' a Diono, 9/11 dom. All the pics are in the drivers side captains chair of a 2011 Town and Country. The shoulder belt guide is terrible. I'm going to play with the vehicle seat some ( forward and back) to see if it helps, maybe try it in the 3rd row or something. It's completely caught in the belt guide. :mad:

IF the seat belt guide issue is fixed ( meaning, of I find a way to keep it from getting caught, I would place it after the Cybex and Vivo, before the Turbo. I love the leg support, the belt fit was good, the sides were "huggy" according to DD ( she likes more side support, like the Vivo). The adjustable sides are cool, though we'll never EVER need that feature. The LATCH, while not as futuristic and super cool as Cybex's, was easier to use in my super sloped captains chair.the fabric is really nice - DD hates plushy, I hate how snagged mesh gets. This is a nice compromise.

I'm having a hard time picturing/understanding the belt guide issue... How does it get caught? I have a SK Monterey 2010 I think.... in a 07 Chrysler Pacifica so the belts are VERY similar to yours and I love it and was thinking of getting a second one.

Oh and THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO much for this post! It is beyond helpful for me!

Last edited:

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
yetanotherjen said:
I'm having a hard time picturing/understanding the belt guide issue... How does it get caught? I have a SK Monterey 2010 I think.... in a 07 Chrysler Pacifica so the belts are VERY similar to yours and I love it and was thinking of getting a second one.

The newer Montereys have a different belt guide ( the 2010s are different, according to a search). I guess it's especially bad in the Caravan/ T&Cs ( also, according to a quick search that I did). I'm going to try it in the 3rd row center, and then I can fold down the one captains.

PunkyMonkey

I just want to point out how freaking cute your DD is, and her little face she makes in every pic! thanks for this, I'm far from booster days but I've been buying seats for birthdays or christmas for other family members who need them and this is a huge help as I'll be buying boosters this year! :D

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor

The newer Montereys have a different belt guide ( the 2010s are different, according to a search). I guess it's especially bad in the Caravan/ T&Cs ( also, according to a quick search that I did). I'm going to try it in the 3rd row center, and then I can fold down the one captains.

Well Boo! I'll have to see if I can find one anywhere next time I'm in Denver. DS1 really wanted a blue one, but we have a little while before he needs a second booster.

Chila88

Thanks! I'm in Canada and unfortunately your top 2 favourites aren't available here :thumbsdown: I need latchable so I think I'll be deciding between the Oobr and the Monterey when my super skinny DD enters into booster world, likely later this year, but that will all depend on if those stupid belt guides work in my Sienna and Element. :mad: I hope Diono takes this issue into account and changes them so the seat is compatible in more vehicles.

VoodooChile

Here's my dd in the Clek Oobr. In this pic, she's 6.5 y/o. 46" tall, 44 lbs, 15.5" torso. She loves this booster more than anything!
Eve_Oobr.jpg

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Re: ParkwaySG, Turbo, X-fit, Olli, Vivo & Monterey -AND PROBOOSTER!

Here's DD in the Recaro ProBooster - stats are unchanged from the time of all the other pics. She's ~40lbs and 45"tall.

First of all, I LOVE how solid it is, yet not as heavy as others (cough cough, Monterey, cough cough). The fabric is also really nice, as DD is particular. It doesn't LATCH, and it doesn't have cupholders (two big downfalls, especially the cupholders to DD). It's been said before that the ProBooster is tippy, and it's true. First ride I didn't put the armrests down on the captain's chair, and DD nearly fell off the seat around the first big turn :thumbsdown:. Armrests down (as shown in the pics) and there's no issue.

I also want to note that DD is asleep in every picture in this post. It happens.

Belt fit is REALLY nice - the sides aren't as "huggy" as the Vivo, but she has about as much space inside the booster as in the Monterey (on the 'tightest' setting - remember the Monterey has those adjustable wings).
probooster.jpg

Side shot. She has nice leg support in the ProBooster too. She's on the '4' click (another helpful thing on the Probooster is they number the headrest 'clicks', so that you don't have to guess every time. That's helpful, and would have come in handy on the X-fit. I digress.)
proboosterside1.jpg

So, she's sleeping, right? These are actually the last photos I took. I first had to ease her back into position because she has THE WORST SLUMP IN THE HISTORY OF SLUMPAGE. Behold:
proboosterslump.jpg

Holy Crap. Now, DD sleeps in the car ALL.THE.TIME. Seriously. This was after a 20minute ride at 2:30 in the afternoon (the first time she ever sat in it). If I were to choose the best sleeping boosters: Vivo and Monterey. She doesn't slump badly in the X-fit, but more to the side, whereas she remains straight-up in the Vivo and Monterey. She hasn't slumped like this since she was harnessed FFing in the Radian. Also, she fell over again and again - she either caught herself, I said her name and she got back up or (twice) I had to reach back and smack her foot. Not good. I'm not giving up on the ProBooster, but it definitely makes me sad.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC