Mifold booster

Shanora

I'm super interested in your product. I was tagged in it this morning on FB, and checked out your website and FB page. It has amazing potential, and a HUGE selling market... and would be amazing to see up here in Canada. I am looking forward to your reply.

ADS

sumroy

Hi, everyone … Jon here. As promised, we are here to listen, engage, share and together, we can make something great! We’ve read all the posts …

Firstly, to the issue of belt positioning and submarining, etc. mifold works completely differently to a regular booster seat. Instead of lifting the child up to be in the position of an adult, it does the exact opposite and actively holds the seatbelt down to fit the child snugly on the bones of the hips and the bones of the shoulder. There are three width settings to adjust the arms and belt guides so that the lap belt will always fit snugly (and so that mifold can grow with your child). This tight fit seems to prevents submarining. The lap belt position is still being finalized. We will be design it to offer the best protection. We continue to conduct crash tests and obviously we will only sell product that complies with the standards.

Regarding Canada … we plan to roll out globally. We are starting with the USA and will target Canada at a later date. There are subtle but significant differences between FMVSS 213 in the USA and RSSR in Canada (especially language and labelling requirements) which mean that we will need a Canada specific version. To justify two different versions of mifold will depend on the order quantities. So, please help spread the word, get your contacts to sign up for pre-orders on our website and that will help us move quickly to the different versions. Also, regarding colors, once again, as the quantities increase, we will be able to add in additional color options.

Our name … mifold is pronounced “my fold”, the “i” is like the “i” in iPhone, etc. We think that mifold is the most personal car sear ever and so we wanted it to be ‘mine’.

Finally, please don’t buy this just because I have a great accent! That helped me get tips when I was waiting tables in Boston as a student in the summer of 1989!

We want you to buy and recommend mifold, because mifold is creating a whole new solution. There are many journeys were children do not have a booster; we estimate as much as 25% of all child journeys. And Pediatric magazine famously reported that 50% of kids in America do not have the correct booster seat when carpooling for the school run. We want to eliminate these completely. With a compact and portable device, a child can always be safe no matter whose car they are in. If a child is in a collision using only an adult seatbelt, the injuries can be catastrophic. mifold is designed to hold the adult seatbelt correctly so that in a collision, the seatbelt can then work properly to restrain the child and protect them and there should be no more excuses to have a child without.

Please let us know what you think.
And which colors you like best.
Thanks
Jon S

sumroy

Hi, everyone … Jon here. As promised, we are here to listen, engage, share and together, we can make something great! We’ve read all the posts …

Firstly, to the issue of belt positioning and submarining, etc. mifold works completely differently to a regular booster seat. Instead of lifting the child up to be in the position of an adult, it does the exact opposite and actively holds the seatbelt down to fit the child snugly on the bones of the hips and the bones of the shoulder. There are three width settings to adjust the arms and belt guides so that the lap belt will always fit snugly (and so that mifold can grow with your child). We continue to conduct crash tests and obviously we will only sell product that complies with the standards.

Regarding Canada … we plan to roll out globally. We are starting with the USA and will target Canada at a later date. There are subtle but significant differences between FMVSS 213 in the USA and RSSR in Canada (especially language and labelling requirements) which mean that we will need a Canada specific version. To justify two different versions of mifold will depend on the order quantities. So, please help spread the word, get your contacts to sign up for pre-orders on our website and that will help us move quickly to the different versions. Also, regarding colors, once again, as the quantities increase, we will be able to add in additional color options.

Our name … mifold is pronounced “my fold”, the “i” is like the “i” in iPhone, etc. We think that mifold is the most personal car seat ever that is already small and then folds in half … my fold … mifold!

Finally, please don’t buy this just because I have a great accent! That helped me get tips when I was waiting tables in Boston as a student in the summer of 1989!

We want you to buy and recommend mifold, because mifold is creating a whole new solution. There are many journeys were children do not have a booster; we estimate as much as 25% of all child journeys. And Pediatric magazine famously reported that 50% of kids in America do not have the correct booster seat when carpooling for the school run. We want to eliminate these completely. With a compact and portable device, a child can always be safe no matter whose car they are in. If a child is in a collision using only an adult seatbelt, the injuries can be catastrophic. mifold is designed to hold the adult seatbelt correctly so that in a collision, the seatbelt can then work properly to restrain the child and protect them.

Please let us know what you think.
And which colors you like best.
Thanks
Jon S

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Hi Jon! So exiting. I can't wait to see the belt fit changes. Any idea on expiration on this? The kids I watch, 11 of them, are getting to the nbb age. To be ready, all the time with these would be amazing! The one thing I dislike about the bubble bum is the limited 5 year life.

teekadog

Have you conducted crash tests with the Mifold yet? I'm curious how tightening the lap belt around the femurs prevents submarining. Is it because the increased width of the pelvis/femoral heads prevent submarining before the iliac spines are in contact with the belt?

I like colorful seats the most so my request would be no 50 shades of grey Mifolds. And when I mean colorful I don't mean pink for girls and blue for boys- colorful CAN be gender neutral.

Cnidaria

I like colorful too! I'd love to see bright orange, bright green, teal, stuff like that. Of the examples on the website, I like the green ones the best. My older son isn't booster age yet, but his favorite color is blue and he'd vote for a bright blue. :) Either that or a bright/hot pink.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Firstly, to the issue of belt positioning and submarining, etc. mifold works completely differently to a regular booster seat. Instead of lifting the child up to be in the position of an adult, it does the exact opposite and actively holds the seatbelt down to fit the child snugly on the bones of the hips and the bones of the shoulder.

The way it works isn't what I'm concerned with. My concern is that the photos do not show the belt being held down on the hip bones, but on the femur. This leaves a horizontal belt on horizontal bones in the position of trying to prevent horizontal movement toward the front of the vehicle in a crash. Other seats with similar belt positioning have been shown to allow the hips to move forward until they do come into contact with the lap belt and the resulting momentum of the heavier torso tends to launch the hips up and over the belt since the restraining force is applied later in crash sequence.

seb3244

SHARK TANK

Jon you guys need to contact nbc and get on SHARK TANK!!

Ps great product and I am so so excited to get a few to keep in the car!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivegotayen

Jon-

I have a question about the dishwasher safe feature. It looks like the shoulder belt guide is made of webbing. I thought webbing had to be spot treated when washing and could not be washed in a machine.

?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Jon-

I have a question about the dishwasher safe feature. It looks like the shoulder belt guide is made of webbing. I thought webbing had to be spot treated when washing and could not be washed in a machine.

?

I'm not Jon but...

There's a huge difference between the type of webbing used on a booster to position a belt adjuster clip and the load-bearing harness or seat belt webbing that actually restrains a passenger in a crash.

If you look at the webbing on other boosters, it's not made from harness or seat belt material. It's the same type of webbing you'd see on a high chair, a stroller, or similar function. It doesn't need to be strong enough to hold anything in a crash. And it's totally machine washable.

mom2juliarose

This product is getting A LOT of talk in various mom FB groups I'm in, but I still have the same concerns safeinthecar mentioned... it seems like the belts in all the pictures/videos are on the kids' femurs, not their hips...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
This product is getting A LOT of talk in various mom FB groups I'm in, but I still have the same concerns safeinthecar mentioned... it seems like the belts in all the pictures/videos are on the kids' femurs, not their hips...

From the updates I keep getting (I pre-ordered one...), it seems they are still doing some tweaking of the design. I'm hopeful that the prototype we've seen will get changed to make sure it meets all these countries' (it's being sold in a LOT of countries), as well as the IIHS litmus test for ideal lap fit. Fingers crossed!

sumroy

Hi everyone ... remember me? I am Jon the inventor and CEO of mifold. We first chatted in June, when mifold went public for the first time.

A lot has happened since then and I wanted to update you on one element in particular. We finalised the mifold design ready for manufacture and we took on board some of the feedback form car-seat.org, particularly in relation to the lap belt position in the models we used for our movie and photography.

Last week we had a preliminary evaluation of Belt Seat Fit by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). This is an unofficial ratings that is for our in house use only and are not to be made public, because it was on a pre-production sample that we gave the IIHS. Once the seat is in production they will need to buy one and test it for an official rating that will be made public on their website.

However, assuming the production model is the same (which it will be) it will rate as a Best Bet, we will be able to use the “Best Bet “ logo.

I want to thank you all for your input.

For those of you who will be at the ABC Show in Las Vegas next week, I will be with some mifold samples to play with (and a mifold "10x smaller" T-shirt). Let me know if you will be there and we can meet up (ceo@mifold.com).

MotoMommaNH

I hope it all works out! There is certainly a need in the market that could use a quality product to fill the void!

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

thepote

Good to hear! We could use one of these right now. The bubblebum doesn't really fit in my 9yo's dance bag and it's hard for him to manage the inflation and weird belt guides, especially "under pressure" where he's getting a carpool ride. This would be great.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC