Thinking about a Subaru Forester...

newbiema

Hi Everyone, I am new here! I have a 9 month old son who is just beyond adorable! I also drive a VW Bug that I have had since high school, which is beyond frustrating. My little guy is getting big (20lbs 6oz and 29 1/2 inches tall at his 9 month appt.), so I am looking to upgrade to a convertible car seat soon. Right now, we have the Graco Seat Seat 30, so we have a little leeway.

Anyway, I am starting to shop for a better family car, either a medium sized sedan or a small SUV. I did some prelimnary shopping this weekend, and I took an '06 Forester on a quick test drive around the dealer's parking lot, and I kinda love it! It is nice and spacious, but drives like a smaller car, which I need since I am so used to driving my little bug. Would any of you recommend/ not recommend this car? I am not set on this model or year, so other recommendations would be gerat as well. TIA! :D

ADS

LuvBug

did you have a chance to look at them yet?

I have heard good things about the newest model, but a LOT of complaints about the older ones.

Lemonade

My DH has an 03 Forester and it's awful for car seats. Very short front to back and narrow. You can fit one Britax convertible in the middle (it puzzles between the front seats because the back plastic gets narrower) but putting a RF seat behind the driver or passenger is not pretty. Unless you are very petite. If you only plan to have one kid then it's fine. If you want more than one maybe look elsewhere. Now, I have no idea about the newer ones so they may be better.

newbiema

Thanks guys! I have actually been doing so "window shopping" in the store parking lots when I've been out, and I have started to notice how small the backseat is as well. I liked the car at first because it go great safety ratings and seemed reasonably priced, but now.... eh. I dropped by a Toyota lot yesterday to eye up some Rav4s, but it was actually the Camrys that caught my eye! Very spacious, stylish, safe and not ridiculously priced! I might see if I can even swing a new car financially... we shall see...

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A Forester may be spacious compared to a Bug, but compared to other cars its size, it really isn't. The backseat is shallow and narrow, and the cargo space is less than it appears to be.

pastrygirl

I love my '09 Forester, but will only ever be able to have two car seats (or two adults) in the back. The center seat is no good for car seats or humans.

firemomof3

Are you looking for new or used, do you need all-wheel dive, do you need space in the back for lets say a dog, how many kids do you plan on having? The camry is a great car and the full-size impala & malibu :)

newbiema

My husband and I only have one baby right now... he'll be 10 months in a week! I think we may try to have one more child in a couple years, but that's the limit!! We don't have any pets either (a 10 month old is more than enough trouble for us!), and we don't have any intention of getting one really ever, but at least in the near future. I want my next car to be accomodating of at least two carseats, just so I don't need to buy another car if and when #2 comes along. We live in PA, so we get snow, but not a WHOLE lot. We have been contemplating moving to New England, but that is more of just a wandering thought at the moment. I do have a bike, so I would like something I could attach them to in case we go on an outdoorsy vacation soon (which we will hopefully do!).

newbiema

O, and right now, I am thinking of going with a newer used car, like low mileage 05-07. HOWEVER, depending on the make and model, I may be able to swing a new car. For example, a new Camry could be possible if I limit the options, but a new SUV would be completely out of the question. I would want to spend around 15k or so for a used... could possibly spend around 20k on a new car (I would feel more comfortable taking out a longer loan on a new car).

SavsMom

The new model of the Forester (2009-2010) is much better than the previous year in regards to size. The back seat is much more spacious than before, as is the front passenger room and cargo area.

I have a base model 2010 and love it. I only have once child and have her Britax Boulevard installed rear facing on the passenger side (getting a center installation just didn't work). It was super easy to install and the front passenger still has plenty of room. Three across would be really tough due to the center seat, 2 car seats and an adult probably wouldn't work that well either - it would work, but not comfortably.

I often have 2 adults riding with me, and everyone who has ridden in my Forester compliments me on what a great vehicle it is.

pastrygirl

Three across would be really tough due to the center seat, 2 car seats and an adult probably wouldn't work that well either - it would work, but not comfortably.
Have you tried a seat in the center? I can't install a Marathon or Radian there in my '09, but I'm wondering if it's possible in the 2010 model year. I also can't fit my behind in the center position, without any car seats installed. Maybe a small child can fit in the center, but it's definitely not a useable spot for an adult. The space between the seat belt stalks is extremely narrow (which is also why I can't get a car seat in there).

You should be able to get a new Camry for not too much more than $16,000. Right now is a sort of horrible time to buy a car though. Imports especially. For where you live, you may want something with AWD though.

SavsMom

Yes, I tried to install our Boulevard in the center - I think it could be done, but I gave up and just put it outboard. I won a CA - and am going to give it a try when it arrives (hopefully soon, I can't wait to play with it).

As far as comfort in the center seat - I sat there the other day and didn't find it to be any more uncomfortable than any other center seat, but like you said the seatbelt could cause some discomfort for longer rides.

I had a Ford Escape before and I just love love love my Subaru - don't get me wrong I loved my Escape, but I would choose my Subaru over it any day.

My parents also got a new 2010 Outback and it is spectacular. Install was easy outboard (latch) and center (seat belt).

Have you tried a seat in the center? I can't install a Marathon or Radian there in my '09, but I'm wondering if it's possible in the 2010 model year. I also can't fit my behind in the center position, without any car seats installed. Maybe a small child can fit in the center, but it's definitely not a useable spot for an adult. The space between the seat belt stalks is extremely narrow (which is also why I can't get a car seat in there).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC