USA vs. Canada infant seat safety guidelines

U

Unregistered

Hi everyone. I was curious to see if US ahad different manufacturer restrictions than Canada. I am looking to buy 2 used Graco infant car seats that were used for 2 months only. I called Graco to confirm the manufactured dates but when I was looking to find these seats online, I only found info related to them in Canada.

They are Graco snugride infant car seat in G-style. I can't find them online in a store online but saw on toysrus.com but the info kept referring to Canada guidelines.

does anyone know if Graco makes car seats in Canada or is this just because the country canada has different laws than the USA?

thanks so much in advance for helping.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Is this the seat you're referring to? http://www.gracobaby.com/Catalog/Pa...|1 10434:4294959420||1+13:4294959714||1#/1367

If so, it is indeed a seat that's available in the US. (It might also be available in Canada.)

I can't quite tell from your post, but I'm guessing you're in the US and are worried that the seats you're looking at are Canadian?

You must use a seat that is certified for use in the country you live in.

We warn people about buying used seats because it's hard to know the history. There could be pieces missing, it could have been in a crash, or the seat could have been mistreated. If you're buying it from someone who you would trust with your child's life, that's probably ok, but otherwise we typically warn against it.

U

Unregistered

Yes, I do live in the USA and that was what I was worried about was if Canada manufactured seats that were less quality, etc.

The link you pasted in indeed the seat in question.

Maedze

Glad you found us :)

The issue with the seats are 2-fold.

1. It's illegal to use a Canadian seat in the United States. If the model number is coming up as Canadian, you cannot purchase it to use in the US.

2. It's used and it's from someone you don't know. We strongly, strongly, strongly discourage people from purchasing seats from an unknown seller. You simply do not know the history of the seat, and if you don't know the seller, you cannot trust that the person is being honest. An accident, or washing the harness in a washing machine, has made the seat unsafe to use but you won't necesssarily be able to tell by looking at it.

If you give us an idea of your budget and what you are needing the seats for, we can point you in a safer direction :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC