Would you buy a discontinued seat?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So I am contemplating the new Baby Trend PROtect convertible as a possible seat for when we need a new convertible.

I was looking on AlbeeBaby today and saw that they have the old First Years True Fit (the one with I-alert) for $99. Considering that I'd have to buy the top tier BabyTrend seat in order to get the LockOffs, $99 for a
seat that has all the features -- plus the ARB -- seems pretty good. I don't need the seat to last super long, either, because I have other convertibles to pass down once my older daughter goes FF. The 35 lb weight limit for RF also doesn't concern me -- in part because my 2y8m daughter isn't even 30 lbs yet, and partially because we have other 40 lb RF seats that we can pass down if necessary.

Questions:

1. Is it a bad idea to buy a seat from a manufacturer that's no longer producing car seats? Will there still be customer support?

2. What would you expect the expiration date to be? I'd like it to have at least 3 years left on it....

3. Is the anti-rebound bar on the seat optional? I love the idea of an ARB, but I have heard that it can cause the seat to take up a ton of room.

4. Would this seat fit okay in a Forester? An Impreza? Can it be installed more upright? The child would be over 1 year old.

5. Anything else I should consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

melissa621

So I am contemplating the new Baby Trend PROtect convertible as a possible seat for when we need a new convertible.

I was looking on AlbeeBaby today and saw that they have the old First Years True Fit (the one with I-alert) for $99. Considering that I'd have to buy the top tier BabyTrend seat in order to get the LockOffs, $99 for a
seat that has all the features -- plus the ARB -- seems pretty good. I don't need the seat to last super long, either, because I have other convertibles to pass down once my older daughter goes FF. The 35 lb weight limit for RF also doesn't concern me -- in part because my 2y8m daughter isn't even 30 lbs yet, and partially because we have other 40 lb RF seats that we can pass down if necessary.

Questions:

1. Is it a bad idea to buy a seat from a manufacturer that's no longer producing car seats? Will there still be customer support?

2. What would you expect the expiration date to be? I'd like it to have at least 3 years left on it....

3. Is the anti-rebound bar on the seat optional? I love the idea of an ARB, but I have heard that it can cause the seat to take up a ton of room.

4. Would this seat fit okay in a Forester? An Impreza? Can it be installed more upright? The child would be over 1 year old.

5. Anything else I should consider?

You'd probably be taking a chance if you bought a discontinued seat. The ARB is required for RF. I own a True Fit SI and I don't think it really takes up more room. I have also fit this seat in my (not roomy at all!) '07 Outback. I was honestly surprised that it didn't take up more room.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The iAlert wasn't produced very long, and I think the TrueFits were discontinued about two years ago...and I THINK they had a 7-year expiration, so I'd say there's a good chance it'll still have three years on it.

The anti-rebound bar really doesn't cause it to take up extra space, IIRC.

I think First Years still provides support on existing seats, though I'm not sure to what extent.

For $99, and knowing that the life is limited, I'd definitely consider it.

jjordan

I've bought discontinued seats a few times because they were good deals. As long as you are okay with the amount of life left, go for it!

sunflower

I really like the True Fit, and would definitely consider it. My seat was in the car when we were crashed, so it was dumped- but we had another 2 years left.

Let us know what the expiration is, if you end up getting it.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
They aren't doing car seats at all anymore right? If so, I wouldn't. That means they aren't doing continual testing and development and such which means less chance of finding an issue on current seats that require a recall; especially with less seats out in the public.

Also, their infant seat was going to not meet Canadian standard several years ago after they had already stopped making car seats for Canada and they handled it horribly and did pretty much nothing for the people with the seats. I don't trust they'd handle a USA recall any better at this point.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm sure First Years isn't still doing testing, but if there are enough complains of incidents, NHTSA would handle it (eventually...) That seat was around long enough that if there were an inherent problem, it likely would have been discovered by now. Also, BabyTrend now has rights to the design, and even though they've made some minor changes, the seat will still be in production in some form.

It's true that the Canadian issue wasn't handled well. For $99, though, I might take my chances.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Well, I talked to my husband about it and he said that he just wasn't comfortable with the idea of a car seat that may or may not be supported by the manufacturer. He'd rather wait and check out the Baby Trend one or go with something else. I have heard some bad stuff about Baby Trend's customer service too, so I think we may just end up with something totally different. Too bad, though, I was very interested in trying it out -- but they're his kids too!

gigi

If it makes you feel better, the true fit is VERY wide, doesn't do well next to another seat, and takes up a decent amount of front to back space once the headrest goes on (IIRC it has to go on about 22 lbs). It isn't a universally easy install either. I had a rough time getting it in a few vehicles. I think I wherever the lockoffs being funny to work with too, but it has been a long time and I could be wrong on that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC