Question Kids in front seat

U

Unregistered

I have a 2006 expedition. We are heading on a road trip and it would be so much nicer for my 5'1", 90 lb daughter to sit in the front passenger seat where luggage, etc won't crowd her in the third row (or fall on her!). Her sibs fill the middle row (all younger/smaller/boostered) and Daddy can't join us. Only hitch that makes me worried is that she's 11. She's started her period (gasp) and so is in puberty- read a thread here suggesting pre-pubertal kids have weaker bones (I think that is what they were saying). Main question: will she be OK in front seat? Thank you!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

kiloyd

I haven't been able to find much on kids in the front. I did see somewhere that air bags were designed for aprox. 5'-6' ft height.

My rule to ride up front is 13 yrs and/or 5 ft/100#.

I'd be okay with her up front at her height. I'd just not yet make it a daily occurence. I think I eased mine into it, with only once a week or so at first when they were 12.

Brianna

I just found this article http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/the-evolution-of-front-airbags.html
Reduced Force, Reduced Size
For the 2006 model year, some automakers have upped the ante in airbag technology, going beyond the federal requirements for airbag safety. Both General Motors and Ford have introduced new designs for their front airbags that not only deploy with less force but in a smaller size, depending on the size and location of the occupant.
In real world situations, sensors determine the size, shape and force that the airbag should deploy, or if the airbag should be suppressed completely, within milliseconds. Both automakers are offering these next-generation airbags on select 2006 models and will be adding it to additional models in the future.

kiloyd

I just found this article http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/the-evolution-of-front-airbags.html
Reduced Force, Reduced Size
For the 2006 model year, some automakers have upped the ante in airbag technology, going beyond the federal requirements for airbag safety. Both General Motors and Ford have introduced new designs for their front airbags that not only deploy with less force but in a smaller size, depending on the size and location of the occupant.
In real world situations, sensors determine the size, shape and force that the airbag should deploy, or if the airbag should be suppressed completely, within milliseconds. Both automakers are offering these next-generation airbags on select 2006 models and will be adding it to additional models in the future.

Thanks for posting that article!!!

I was just asking a CPS Tech yesterday about 12 year olds in the front.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC