Ultra cargo harness straps

C

Caitiegirl

I was wondering if it is ok to have a little bit of space between a toddler's shoulder and the straps? When my DD sits in the Ultra Cargo she slouches when the straps are in the first slot and she is right on the slot where the straps go through.But when I tried her in the carseat with the straps in the next slot there was a space even when she was sitting straight up. So I was curious which would be safer for her since it seems like she is right inbetween the two slots? Thank you.

ADS

Robert

CPST Instructor
Providing she is facing forward you want the harness straps to be at or above her shoulders. The harness straps should also be snug on her (A snug strap lies in a relatively straight line without sagging, but neither dioes it press on the child's flesh or push the child's body into an unnatural position). With the harness straps snug this should keep your child from slotching in the seat.

C

Caitiegirl

re:Ultra Cargo

Thank you, but I noticed she slouches because of the straps being snug.When I sit her up before I put the straps on she is above the 1st slot but under the 2nd slot.Thats why I'm a little confused about which way to put the straps.And I forgot to mention the straps are right against her neck also.

Robert

CPST Instructor
Check where the crouch strap that attaches to the seat between your child s legs. Some seats have two positions so you can move the crouch strap closer. You may also want to look up a techncian at the "free car seat inspection" link at the top of the page to give you a one on one advise.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
A little more-

If I understand your question, it is OK to have a little room above her shoulders to the straps. Since you do want the straps at or above the shoulders, you can't avoid a little space above the shoulders in some cases. If they slouch a little, that will be exaggerated a bit more.

On the other hand, like Robert said, you don't want any slack at the point where the straps are on her shoulders. Some use the rule that you shouldn't be able to fit more than one finger comfortably between the shoulder and the strap in front, others say you shouldn't be able to pinch the strap away from the shoulder.

If she is getting marks from the straps on her neck, please don't buy an aftermarket pad of any kind. Some parents just make sure to pull the child's shirt up between the straps and neck. Some even take a very thin baby sock and cut the end off it, then put that around the straps as a very thin layer to add comfort. We don't want anything thick or padded between the child and the straps.

It sounds like she is in a gray area where the lower slot may be fine if she slouches or a bit too low if she sits up straight. I agree with Robert that a free inspection might be a good idea if you have concerns. As long as the straps are tight, she should be pretty safe either way until she grows a bit more to definitely need the next higher slot all the time.

C

caitiegirl

re:Ultra Cargo

Thank you very much for your advice!I'm glad to know that she will be safe either way. I think I will see about getting her checked out if I can.Your right she is in the gray area between the two. I tried her in the 2nd slot and there was space enough for me to put my whole hand through,even when she sat up straight.So I think within maybe a month or so she should be ready for the 2 slots. And the idea of putting the strap under her collar has worked well so far. Thank you again. Caitiegirl

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Glad we could help!

It definitely sounds like a good idea to see a tech. Many fitting stations take appointments and most can offer indoor areas in the winter. Large metropolitan areas also have checkup events throughout the year which don't require an appointment.

Not only will they check your seats, but they should be able to answer all your questions and provide as much education as possible so you feel comfortable installing it yourself in the future.

Thanks again for visiting!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC