Question Is the Safeguard car seat the safest?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Safeguard Child Seat was discontinued some time last year. It had 19" top slots and a 65 pound harness limit. It was by no means the safest, as we have no way of knowing what seat is or is not the safest. It had some neat features, for sure. LATCH and harness like a seatbelt. Push a button and it tightens on its own. But it was a forward facing only seat with a 65 pound limit, no booster option.

If you mean the Safeguard Go, then it had 17.5" top harness height with a 60 pound harness limit, then it turned into a backless booster. It required a top tether to use the harness, and was easy to install with LATCH, but far more interesting with the seatbelt.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We don't know which seat is the safest, and even if we did, it would probably vary based on a lot of things (the car, the child, the installation method, etc.).

I have a SafeGuard. It's very cool. I love the self-ratcheting LATCH, although my son is now too heavy to use LATCH in our car.

I will say, though, that I'm actually slightly concerned about it. It's a VERY heavy seat. Also, as cool as the self-ratcheting LATCH is, I also worry that it's too gimmicky. It seems like the more you do to the LATCH belt, the more there is to fail. (This is all based on gut feelings--not on any actual research. So take that with a huge grain of salt.)

That said, IMMI (the company that made the SafeGuard) is a well respected manufacturer of seatbelt components. I'm not so concerned that I don't use the seat, although it's in my husband's car, which DS is rarely in.

I will say that for a high-weight seat, it offers very little leg support. My DS is 5 years old, 48", 44 lbs, and his legs get really uncomfortable in it. I'm going to ditch the SafeGuard pretty soon because of that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC