5 pt for travel, for a 40+ pound kid

maggiesmom

I hope I'm in the right part of the forum. I often end up here when doing google searches for car seat info, so I thought this would be a good place to ask. :)

We're going on a trip in a few weeks and will need a carseat for our 43 pound, 44 inch tall 3 1/2 year old. We have a Britax Marathon but it's my understanding that it is too wide for airplane seats. I do not want to check it or gate check it for fear of it being damaged.

It seems that my options for 5 point harnesses that will fit a child over 40 pounds are pretty limited. Seats that will fit on an airplane are even more limited. At this point I'm leaning toward the Radian RXT as it seems like a good fit for my very tall little one. I am curious as to whether anyone knows of a cheaper seat that would also meet my height, weight and airplane specifications. Also, if you have any thoughts on the seats within the Radian brand (since they all seem to fit tall kids and be narrow enough for the plane), I'd love to hear them.

(FWIW, I know it sounds silly to buy a $270 seat for a trip. I've looked into renting a seat once we get there, and it seems that the seats available with rental cars top out at 40 pounds.

One of the things I like about the Radian is that it goes up to 57 inches, whereas our Britax is to 49 inches. I don't want to be forced to move her out of a 5 point before I'm ready. Still, if there is a cheaper seat that will meet our current needs, I'd like to know about it.

One more thing - we don't need a carseat on the plane because we own a CARES harness that can be used to keep her in place. So, if anyone has thoughts on a way around taking a seat on the plane but also not checking it, please share. I feel like I'm asking for the moon but who knows what experiences you all may have had before! :cool: )

ADS

aeormsby

First, the Marathon should fit fine on the plane (unless you'll be on a very small plane). I don't think the newer versions are much different in width to the classic style and we flew with ours plenty of times. You do need to put the armrest up so it fits.

But, they are heavy seats to lug through the airport. Some lighter weight options to look at are the Evenflo Securekid, Harmony Defender, and Evenflo Sureride. The first two are combo seats (harnessed seats that later can be converted to a booster). I wouldn't usually recommend a convertible that won't get used RF but the Sureride has taller harness slots than all but one other seat available (the Frontier).

As for the stated height limit, it's rather irrelevant, the seat is outgrown FF when the shoulders are above the top harness slots. The Radian may be taller than the MA but it won't last 8" of growth longer.

Definitely use the seat on the plane. Your LO will more likely be more comfy that way anyway.

wavegal

I agree with Aeormsby, I would look at those seats for the plane since they are much lighter and will get you the same time harnessed as the Radian (some may even last longer). And yes the stated height is really irrelevant, torso height is really what matter since you don't want the straps to be below the shoulders forward facing. (I.E. my 5 yr old is only 48in now but outgrew the boulevard by torso height around 45 in tall.)

cantabdad

I hope this doesn't sound like an unnecessary "me too" kind of post, but I just wanted to add my agreement on the idea that the Britax Marathon will definitely fit on most aircraft seats. We just used it for some flights this spring with no issues, and never had problems in the past, even on some smaller propeller planes.

CARES, to me, only really makes sense if you have a trusted friend/relative picking you up who has the right carseat installed, or if you're going someplace like New York or London where you know you just won't be using a car at all during your stay. Otherwise, since you need a carseat on the other end, you may as well install it on the plane rather than run even the small risk that the airline will misplace or damage it.

CarolynS

Agree with all of the above BUT check to make sure the airline will allow it given your child is over 40 Ib. Both air canada and westjet state they only aloe the for children who are under 40 Ib. Also, this spring we have found all airlines in Canada and us have been very concerned about is calling ahead and making sure the fact that we are installing the car seat on the plane is on the Manifest.

TXmom2

First, the Marathon should fit fine on the plane (unless you'll be on a very small plane). I don't think the newer versions are much different in width to the classic style and we flew with ours plenty of times. You do need to put the armrest up so it fits.

But, they are heavy seats to lug through the airport. Some lighter weight options to look at are the Evenflo Securekid, Harmony Defender, and Evenflo Sureride. The first two are combo seats (harnessed seats that later can be converted to a booster). I wouldn't usually recommend a convertible that won't get used RF but the Sureride has taller harness slots than all but one other seat available (the Frontier).

As for the stated height limit, it's rather irrelevant, the seat is outgrown FF when the shoulders are above the top harness slots. The Radian may be taller than the MA but it won't last 8" of growth longer.

Definitely use the seat on the plane. Your LO will more likely be more comfy that way anyway.

The Defender is airline approved? ! If so, that solves my problem and what I came to ask ;)

maggiesmom

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. I will look up all of the seats mentioned. To answer questions/clarify things:

On the Britax: it's a Marathon 70 that was purchased in 2011, and I think it was the model that was about to be discontinued at that time because I got it for a great deal. I don't have the model name in front of me. It is really wide and I've read about it not fitting without the armrest up, plus we don't want it taking up half of the seat next to it (DH needs space to sit too.) We are taking one small plane that I'm particularly worried about.

We have the CARES harness from a trip to grandma's where she had a seat (too small for DD now) that we'd left with her. I agree that it's probably not a practical option for this trip.

On whether we'll be allowed to use the seat since she is over 40 pounds. I hadn't even thought of that; she's only 3!! I looked at the FAA website and it says that kids over 40 pounds should just use the airplane seat belt. However, it also says this:

Children Under 18 with Special Needs

Most young children who use a CRS weigh 40 lbs. or less. However, there are some children with physical challenges who weigh more than 40 lbs. and need the support and security of a CRS or device so they can travel safely on an airplane.

Airlines must allow a child who is under the age of 18 to use an approved CRS that is properly labeled, appropriate for the child's weight, and as long as the child is properly secured in the CRS. Many companies manufacture CRSs approved for use on aircraft that are specifically designed for larger children who are physically challenged. Additional information is available from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

My child doesn't have special needs, but the last paragraph I quoted says they have to let me use the child restraint system as long as I follow the rules. From my reading that doesn't only apply to kids with special needs. I really don't want to buy a seat to take and then be forced to check it!! Plus I think she'll do better in a carseat since the second flight will be 6 hours.

maggiesmom

Agree with all of the above BUT check to make sure the airline will allow it given your child is over 40 Ib. Both air canada and westjet state they only aloe the for children who are under 40 Ib. Also, this spring we have found all airlines in Canada and us have been very concerned about is calling ahead and making sure the fact that we are installing the car seat on the plane is on the Manifest.
Forgive my ignorance - is the Manifest a Canadian thing? Has anyone in the US had a problem with being allowed to use a car seat for a non-infant?

maggiesmom

Okay, I looked up the seats that were mentioned, and it looks like the Harmony Defender might work. Apparently it's 17.5 inches wide, which is just a little wider than the Radian. It seems to be good for tall kids and bonus, it's under $100! It seems to be only sold at Walmart so we're going there this weekend to check it out.

Now I just need to confirm that no one will give us a hard time about using the seat for a kid who looks like she's 5 or 6. :/

TXmom2

Okay, I looked up the seats that were mentioned, and it looks like the Harmony Defender might work. Apparently it's 17.5 inches wide, which is just a little wider than the Radian. It seems to be good for tall kids and bonus, it's under $100! It seems to be only sold at Walmart so we're going there this weekend to check it out.

Now I just need to confirm that no one will give us a hard time about using the seat for a kid who looks like she's 5 or 6. :/

I would call ahead to check inventory, apparently the Defender is not available at a lot of Walmart stores. I lucked out and found the last 2 in stock within a 30 mile radius of me

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't think you'll have an issue on a domestic flight.

In fact, FAA regulations require airlines operating under their rules (all domestic flights do) to allow any child (person under 18) who has a ticket for a seat and is traveling with a parent be allowed to use a child restraint certified for use on aircraft (almost all us harnessed seats) if they are within the limits. (They are also required to make reasonable accommodation to move the family if the seat doesn't fit but will in another seating row.)

Olga

I have never heard of this. I looked on their websites also and couldn't find any mention of such a restriction, except that all child restraints must be used as specified by the manufacturer and must bear the proper certification sticker. And of course no booster seats, harnesses only.

Did they not allow you to use your seat on a flight?

lawgirl5

So glad to find a recent thread about this!! I have an Onside Air that I use as my travel seat. Took the Britax Boulevard 70 out of the car yesterday to wash so I put in the Onside while the cover dries. I noticed that my son who will be 4 in August (and I'm not sure of his current height but will be measuring tonight) and is somewhere between 34-36 lbs looks like he is about outgrown the seat by height. I noticed his head is right at the top of the seat back.

We will be flying again in August to visit Grandparents for his birthday. Can anyone tell me the height limit for the Defender when used harnessed? I can't find that info anywhere! I am thinking of replacing my Onside with either the Defender-which would theoretically be the longest used since it goes into booster mode (although the heaviest of the 3...), the Guide or the Sureride. Not real sure when my son will be able to ride on the plane with the seatbelt (I would be comfortable with it now but I'm not so sure I could keep him contained. He is VERY active). Eventually I plan to just have a seat at my parents when my son can ride without a seat on the plane but I do also like having a backup seat at home. Not sure which seat to choose so maybe if someone knows the harnessed height on the defender that would help me out. Thanks!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Doesn't the Defender only have an overall height limit? Most kids will outgrow by shoulder height first.

The OnSide is outgrown when weight limit is reached, shoulders over the top slot, or top of ears are over the top of the seat- the head may exceed the shell forward facing.

maggiesmom

Thanks for all the replies, especially about the car seat being allowed on US flights. That makes me feel better.

TXMom2, you were right about them being out of stock. We're going to order it online and have it shipped, crossing my fingers that it works as well as it seems it will! I asked DH to order it last night; that reminds me that I need to check to see if he did.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC