Acura MDX vs Honda Pilot vs Landrover LR3...for 2 car seats

clemsondds

Hey I would appreciate anyone's help. My wife and I are expecting our 2nd and we have a jeep grand cherokee right now, and we just feel there isn't enough room for two car seats. We have a difficult time putting our little girl in, since we have to angle her in to get her into the car seat. And when it's a rear facing, it's even harder. Plus it's a little high off the ground. So we are looking for a newer SUV that has more rear seat space. I really don't want a big box that has no style at all. I would like something that has a really solid, quiet ride to it. I would like it if the MDX has enough room, but I have a bad feeling it won't. I think the Honda Pilot has more room...but is a box with no style and feels like a tank. The landrover is kindof in between, but I know they aren't real reliable. If anyone has any other thoughts I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again!

ADS

canadiangie

Well, I love my box with no style, that feels like a tank. It's rocks when it comes to all things child passenger safety, which is why I bought it. Give me six tether anchors, four latch positions, and flat removable head restraints, with a 60/40 in the 3rd row, and I'll buy it everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. :D

The MDX just wasn't quite big enough, but I have three monsters. Style wise, it's delish. For two kids I think you'd be fine.

Land Rover wasn't on my list at all, no idea.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I completely agree with Angie. I love my Pilot for kid-transporting! We rearface until forever in my car, and it's easy to get kiddos in either way.

Just out of curiosity, how old is the little one you have now and what is she riding in?

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would exclude the LR3 from the list for reliability and repair costs alone. Stick with one of the two Hondas. I prefer the MDX because of the spoil-me features it has above and beyond the Pilot, and I prefer the way it corners to the Pilot. When I got my Odyssey, we had Pilot on the list to look at but after sitting in it compared to the MDX we knew that given the choice, we'd much rather have an MDX over a Pilot.

-Nicole.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I love my MDX. I've never had any problems getting carseats in, even with the more hard to install seats. http://carseatblog.com/10720/acura-mdx-review-a-great-alternative-for-families/

I've discovered that it has a pretty wicked blind spot over my left shoulder that's troublesome when I'm getting on the freeway (and I've been doing that a lot lately), but it doesn't bother me otherwise. The engine is very powerful, which I enjoy a lot! I do think the pilot has more room, especially in the 3rd row, but I couldn't get past the fact I couldn't see over the hood.

canadiangie

Cornering doesn't enter my mind when buying a kid-hauler so forgive my inability to speak to that. Speaking strictly on interior space in the 2nd row, we did try an MDX before finally finding a Pilot. And I've worked in countless MDX (have only done one three across, though, hence finding one to try before buying). They truly are very nice. My understanding is a base model MDX translates roughly to the features found in an EXL Pilot, and you go up from there (ie: it starts out great and just gets better and better trim level wise). Things that held me back about the MDX was 2nd row width, and front to back space. It offers just a smidge less in both capacities. Then when looking at the useability of the 3rd row, the Pilot seemed to offer more legroom (I did not measure, though). If OP wants space, the Pilot probably wins over the MDX. Styling is a no-brainer, the Pilot is utility, the MDX is luxury. Honda isn't known for putting out edgy vehicles lately, but I do gravitate to the look of the new body style Pilot. I guess it comes down to what you need, and possibly what you can afford. But like I said, with two kids and depending on what seats they're riding in, the MDX could potentially work quite nicely. :)

MommyBoha

I love my Pilot. I have 2 kids, one in a booster and one in a FFing 5pt. They have plenty of room, I love the fact that there are tethers in ALL seating positions.

Phineasmama

I LOVE my CRv for only 2 kids! I believe it's the same thing as the MDX. But if you're planning on having a 3rd just do yourself a favor and get the pilot now. Smaller SUVs (like my CRV) can be a real pain for 3 across situations.

clemsondds

Thanks for everyone's help. I would like to hear from more ppl who have MDX's. I am just wondering if it's difficult to get babies into rear facing car seats? Also if anyone has any other cars they recommend then that would be great too. I really want an MDX but am worried that it will be just as hard to get a baby in it, as it is in a jeep. Thanks!

Phineasmama

I don't find it particularly difficult for rear facing seats.

The Britax convertibles work well, as does the True Fit, and the Radians work well with the Angle Adjuster.

jdjr6735

I have an mdx. I have rear-facing Graco snug rides and then Britax Marathons. It leaves not much room for the driver. I'm 5'4 and never had to move my seat. My 5'10 husband always complained how close he had to sit to the steering wheel. Now that they're both FF (MA and FR85), no complaints!
I will say that the 3rd row is useless...If you want a functional 3rd row, get a Pilot! My 5 yr old can ride in the 3rd row with a backless booster, but not in a MA. There's absolutely no place for his legs.
I keep my 3rd row folded down and carry around 2 strollers, including a BOB (we use as my daughter's wheelchair).
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my mdx, but if you plan on having more than 2 kids, the Pilot may suit you better.
That said, a friend has 3 Radians across in her CRV and loves it.

Melanie

I absolutely wouldn't get the Landrover. We were just looking at $5,000 cars and came across a lot of Landrovers. Cars like Toyota Corollas are barely in that price range. It's crazy how a vehicle with that high of a price winds up being worth so little.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yeah, Land Rovers are really status vehicles and nothing more. I live in a status area and see a lot of them and Mercedes and know that at least for my dh's friend, his Mercedes spends a lot of time in the shop. Yet he keeps buying them :scratcheshead: . An advantage of the MDX is that it has 3 full sets of LATCH across the center row and 2 tether anchors for the 3rd row, though it is tough to get ff seats back there. Pilot owners will be able to tell you if there is center LATCH in that SUV. The Pilot is an awesome kid hauler, no doubt. Perhaps it's down to driving both to see which fits you better.

NVMBR02

An advantage of the MDX is that it has 3 full sets of LATCH across the center row and 2 tether anchors for the 3rd row, though it is tough to get ff seats back there. Pilot owners will be able to tell you if there is center LATCH in that SUV. The Pilot is an awesome kid hauler, no doubt. Perhaps it's down to driving both to see which fits you better.

My 2012 Pilot has 3 sets of LATCH center row and 1 set of latch (passenger side) and 2 additional tether anchors. :thumbsup::love: We have only had it about 6 weeks but I seriously love it! I don't know when that set-up became standard but I know it was a similar set up most of the new model years.
We did look at the MDX and if we had 2 children I think it would have been a serious contender.

canadiangie

My 2012 Pilot has 3 sets of LATCH center row and 1 set of latch (passenger side) and 2 additional tether anchors. :thumbsup::love: We have only had it about 6 weeks but I seriously love it! I don't know when that set-up became standard but I know it was a similar set up most of the new model years.
We did look at the MDX and if we had 2 children I think it would have been a serious contender.

2009+ Pilot has 3 full sets of latch across 2nd row, 1 full set passenger side 3rd row.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
With only two kids I would go with the MDX, no questions. I bought mine right after we had our third and didn't get rid of it until we were pregnant with our fourth, and it worked fine for three kids. If you do a search here on the MDX you will find TONS of threads with posts regarding why we all love(d) our MDXs. I have had a ton of car (many of them nicer/more expensive) than the MDX and the MDX has been my favorite. It really is an awesome vehicle...the others really don't compare.

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

wavegal

I was in your shoes 2 years ago, I went from a Jeep grand cherokee to the pilot, but I also know we want 3 kids and wanted the full 3rd row. The MDX is a lot easier to get a rear facing child into than the cherokee is and will accommodate any seat easily

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC