Mercury Mountaineer Installation

U

Unregistered

Hello! My DH and I have a Mercury Mountaineer, an '07 model with third row. The middle row is the bench seat. I have attached pictures and would like to know if this car seat looks ok. We've been using it like this but it still bothers me a little that it tilts. Please let me know if this is ok! Thanks!

ADS
U

Unregistered

Installation in a Mercury

I tried to post this earlier but it didn't work... I'll try again! We drive an '07 Mercury Mountaineer and have our little one is an Evenflo Triumph Advanced FF. It has always tilted and I think it's ok but it still makes me nervous when I look at it. If someone could tell me how to post pics I will show you what it looks like to get your advice! Thanks!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi, welcome to car-seat.org. I combined both of your messages together in a single thread for you because of their complementary information. :) Sorry for the brief delay in getting your posts approved. Posts by unregistered or newly registered members don't appear immediately because they go into a moderation queue for review and approval first, and it sometimes takes a while before posts are approved by a volunteer moderator.

You can upload your carseat photos to a free photo hosting website, such as photobucket.com. Then you can post the links to your pictures here.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I can't really see what's causing the tilt. Is it installed with the seat belt or with LATCH? Are you using the top tether, and is it attached to an approved tether anchor?

Generally speaking, a slight tilt is okay, but it can be a sign that it's not installed properly, too. It just depends on what's causing the tilt.

U

Unregistered

It's installed with the seatbelt b/c the mountaineer unfortunately doesn't have the latch system in the middle seat. I do have the tether attached to the back too. I have tried many things but can't get that tilt out of it for some reason. Does it look like too much of one?

scatterbunny

Your middle seating position has a shoulderbelt, correct?

You lock the belt by pulling the shoulderbelt all the way out, correct?

It's hard to tell by the pictures what, exactly, the problem could be, but I'm thinking if your belts lock at the retractor, you may just be pulling up on the shoulderbelt too much as you lock it/after you lock it. That can cause tilt with both RF and FF seats. I make sure to lock the shoulderbelt last; tighten the lapbelt portion by pulling hard on the shoulderbelt portion, but pull parallel to the lapbelt, not up at an angle (which feels more natural, but tends to cause tilt). Make sure the lapbelt portion is tight, then lock the shoulderbelt and remove any slack in it, but not pulling up on the shoulderbelt where it will cause tilt. The idea is to make the lapbelt tight enough to hold the carseat tight; locking the shoulderbelt only ensures the lap portion doesn't loosen up. Also make sure, as you are tightening the belt, that you are placing pressure on the carseat evenly, not more or less on one side or the other.

How old/tall/heavy is your little one?

In general, a slight tilt is not a safety concern, as long as the seat is, indeed, installed tightly. It would still drive me batty, though, and I'd try to fix it. :p

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
This is like the Ford Explorer, right? I had that trouble in an older model of that vehicle. The seat seemed fine at the time of installation, but eventually slipped down into the crack. I kept reinstalling it every couple weeks. Then, I got help from another CPST to get it installed correctly.

I was using the seatbelt, but we managed to use the LATCH more effectively. If it's the vehicle based on the Explorer, then I would make the parental decision to try the inner hooks of the outboard anchors. Check the vehicle manual for sure, but mine said that this was acceptable as long as it's allowed by the carseat manufacturer. I had a Britax & I'm sorry to say that I don't remember what your carseat's company suggests.

Otherwise, try the following:

Buckle the carseat in very loosely -- position it so that the base is as far as possible (but not past the seatbelt/bucklestalk) beyond the 60/40 split, sharing both portions of the seat cushion -- put your weight into the carseat, first on one side then the other allthewhile tightening the lap portion tightly. With a lap only belt you sometimes need to feed the excess through the belt path to pull from a more effective angle....

Lap only belt, right? How do the "male" buckle end of the seatbelt + the "female" receptor on the stalk line up? Are they in the carseat's belt path? Are the straps parallel or perpendicular?

|| = locked securely
_|_ = not safe

P.S. the tilt isn't really the problem [except for comfort/whiney issues, LOL] but if it's moving more than 1" in any direction then it's not safe.

scatterbunny

Ah, looking back at photo #2, I don't see a shoulderbelt coming down from the ceiling, so I bet you're right, Tiffany, about it being a lapbelt spot. :thumbsup:

left210

I have a Mountaineer too and my infant car seat is at a tilt to the same side as yours. It drives me crazy and I feel like it isnt safe. I was wondering if the pool noodle would help but not sure if that is the problem. We are getting ready to upgrade to a convertible seat and was considering the Triumph or the True Fit. It concerns me that your Triumph is doing the same thing. Maybe going to a certified installer might be the best bet.

scatterbunny

I just have to be nit-picky and point out that CPSTs are not certified installers; we are certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians, and our primary role is as an educator, to teach parents how to use and install seats correctly, not to install the seats ourselves so they are "perfect" in a way parents cannot accomplish. Any good CPST will actively teach you how to do it yourself, unless you're at a busy seat check event, and even then, the tech should show you what to do in a way that you can understand and feel comfortable replicating, even if there isn't time for the tech to install, uninstall and have you reinstall. :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much for your help so far! Actually it is a full shoulder belt and my manual says not to use the latch if not in the correct position. Otherwise I would definitely be using the two inner latches of the outside seats. It doesn't move very much at all. I have it tightened and did try to pull parallel instead of up on the shoulder portion. He doesn't seem to mind it, I guess I just worried if it was safe! I have a feeling it's b/c of the 60/40 split b/c it slides or tilts toward the belt buckle and makes the outside seat a smaller area than on the other side.

U

Unregistered

I have a Mountaineer too and my infant car seat is at a tilt to the same side as yours. It drives me crazy and I feel like it isnt safe. I was wondering if the pool noodle would help but not sure if that is the problem. We are getting ready to upgrade to a convertible seat and was considering the Triumph or the True Fit. It concerns me that your Triumph is doing the same thing. Maybe going to a certified installer might be the best bet.

I don't necessarily think it's b/c of the brand. I think it's because of the way the seat fits but I guess if it's not moving it's ok. When he was rear facing it tilted too and the health dept. lady acted like it was ok.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
our primary role is as an educator to teach parents how to use and install seats correctly . . . :thumbsup:

Hopefully the advice in my last reply will help :twocents: It is generally a very good idea to contact your local CPST(s) for a seatcheck.... & keep asking questions :)

cpsaddict

My mom has an 05 Explorer and I am thinking the problem is because of the split in the seat. She has three independent seats, but bigger convertibles will tend to gravitate towards the crack on the seat. Honestly, I would try the seat outboard. I can install a Britax Marathon ok in the middle because of the really small base, but the Triumph base is bigger and that may be contributing to the problem. I installed a Cosco Alpha Omega and while it was in good and tight, it did tilt to one side because it was so wide, it moved towards the crack on the seat.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
You are correct about not using LATCH in that position - just wanted to clarify and say :thumbsup:

About the tilt - carseats in my VW Golf tend to do the same thing, and I've never found a solution for it. I would just compress more on the side that didn't have the crack, and that would minimize the tilt, but as far as I know that's the best you can do.

crunchierthanthou

I just want to mention your harness pads. I hope I'm not repeating anyone, but I haven't seen it addressed yet.

Aftermarket products are generally discouraged. They can interfere with acheiving a proper harness fit and they weren't crash tested with your seat. If it didn't come with the seat, you shouldn't be using it. I know the red tabs can be bothersome, but Evenflo has specifically stated that no padding can be used on the harness.

How old and what size is your little one?

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Actually in that vehicle it's a 60/40...the carseat is installed on the inner section of the 60. The larger portion of the split is the passenger & center seats. The OP and Defrost are correct that the LATCH anchors can not be "borrowed" in this vehicle for the center seating position.

My guess is that the lap/shoulder belt is locked too tightly and is causing that slight twist at the top of the seat, and that if it were loosened slightly (as to not pull the top of the seat toward the retractor quite so hard), and the tether tightened a bit more it would straighten out some.

I almost always had the 60 folded down in my Mountaineer, but when we had the 3 kids across in it, the Futura that I used in that seating position did like to "do the twist" too, but it could be corrected (somewhat) with the tether.

U

Unregistered

crunchierthanthou - Are you saying the harness protector could hurt him? I wasn't aware they did anything other than keep my little one from getting a rash.

Since I have tried all of the things mentioned here so far and it still tilts is it safe to assume it's ok and safe that way as long as it doesn't move around and he's not fussy in it?

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC