Crowding the back seat? Safe?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My MIL always insists on taking one car if we have 5 people. Well, that works in her mind because she is TINY. For me and my husband, we end up feeling completely squashed. I usually have a hip up on the door and there's no way to have all three torsos across so usually one person's shoulder is behind or in front of the next person. I now understand the meaning of the whole "squeezed in like sardines" thing. I definitely feel like we are "layered" together.

Now that we have a baby, she is starting to insist that 4 adults can still ride in the car - never mind that now instead of being squished against soft people, we're squished against plastic and steel.

So before I knew about belt fit and whatnot, this felt unsafe to me. Now that I know the importance of sitting correctly in the car, it seems even more unsafe. Is it? Are 3 people only supposed to squish into the back seat of a car if they can get correct belt fit when doing so? Or would the fact that they're squished against each other prevent them from moving much anyway? Is the fact that there are 3 lap/shoulder belts sufficient enough to say that three adults (or one child seat and two adults) is safe?

ADS

CarSafetyGuy

If there are enough belts, it's theoretically safe. However, if all three of you can't sit upright with your belts across your shoulders and laps, then it's not safe. Look at the belt travel and let that be your guide. From what you're describing where you can't sit flat against the seat, that doesn't sound as safe as it could be.

CMeMeC

I watched about 8 people fall out of a sedan the other day, but their toddler was in a rear facing car seat. That is squished and unsafe. I would say it is safe in your situation if everyone has a seat belt and can use it correctly. Just being uncomfortable doesn't make it unsafe, but it is hard to say.

CarSafetyGuy

Yes, I've seen too many cases where families were overloaded into vehicles to the point where there weren't enough belts for occupants, and that is absolutely unsafe. A family of 6 died that way last year when they all squished into a Corolla and were hit by a police car.

tiggercat

If you can't all keep your belts properly positioned, it is not safe. I would just tell her "no thanks, we will be taking our own vehicle this time".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC