Commuter car

MommyShannon

DH has an hour commute. He drives a 2001 Accord but it's hard on his back. I think it has about 175,000 miles. What would be a similar, fuel efficient car that's more comfortable? We would sell or trade in the Accord, but could pay a little more too. It's a good car, but his lower back and neck don't like it. He prefers driving our Odyssey and his truck.

ADS

Baylor

DH has an hour commute. He drives a 2001 Accord but it's hard on his back. I think it has about 175,000 miles. What would be a similar, fuel efficient car that's more comfortable? We would sell or trade in the Accord, but could pay a little more too. It's a good car, but his lower back and neck don't like it. He prefers driving our Odyssey and his truck.

What about a new front seat? If the car is good maybe the seat is just too worn in?

MUTigers

My mom has a Chevy cruze that she loves! She drives 40ish miles each way every day and only fills up every week and a half or so (actually maybe less).

ZanesMom

I have a Honda Insight and love it. I drive 45-150 miles 5 days a week and average 45 mpg. I'll have had it 3 years later this week and have over 110,000 miles without any problems. It does take some getting use to due to the autostop and sometimes a slight hesitation starting from a complete stop a couple times in a row, like at a stop sign that is 3-4 cars long. Also, only two car-seats can fit in the back of the car. It's a car I'd buy again and not think twice about it.

T4K

As far as back is concerned, everyone is different. He needs to really test them out. The neurosurgeon told DH that his spine looks like a 75 year old because of his degenerative disc disease and the really bad lumbar. He likes his Passat. He turns on the seat heat to offer relief to his back sometimes. Haha.

MommyShannon

Thanks for the suggestions. DH and I prefer driving at the end of our trips because we turn on the heater for our backs too. The passenger side in our van just has the bottom heat, but the driver has the back heater too.

vmmatula

ya know those bolsters in the Hyundais that can make car seat installation a pain at times...they're great for lower back pain! The front bucket seats have them too. My mom and hubby have both broken a few places in their backs and have always preferred Hyundais for that reason. HTH.

StillThankful

What part of his back hurts? I just purchased a 2005 Toyota Camry that has excellent lumbar support. There is a power switch for it and it goes in or out. I really like it. I hope you guys find something he is comfortable in. The avalon has the same feature: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KooKbv0dl7c"]Avalon How-To: Adjusting The Driver's Seat Lumbar Support | 2005 - 2007 Toyota Avalon - YouTube[/ame]

CarSafetyGuy

I'm guessing that the underlying problem is that he wants something that sits higher and changes the angle of his back, since both the truck and the Odyssey offer greater ride height than a car (in your case, the Accord). If you do choose a car, though, I'd recommend something not smaller than the Accord (i.e., stick to a midsize or larger) for safety reasons, considering he spends 2 hours a day driving.

MommyShannon

I'm guessing that the underlying problem is that he wants something that sits higher and changes the angle of his back, since both the truck and the Odyssey offer greater ride height than a car (in your case, the Accord). If you do choose a car, though, I'd recommend something not smaller than the Accord (i.e., stick to a midsize or larger) for safety reasons, considering he spends 2 hours a day driving.
I think so too. Too bad it's hard to find the higher height+good gas mileage+low cost. I wish we could have kept our old Mercury Montego (basically the current Sable). We don't want two car payments though. The Acvord does have lumbar adjustment and he has added even more with a special cushion. I'm thinking it's something with the height. His lower back and neck area bother him. He actually travels a lot right now so it hasn't been too bad. That's changing though so he needs something better for 2 hours a day!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC