Suggestions for combo seat for 4 yo?

3kitty

So, it's looking like I will need to get my 4.5 yr old a new seat as his torso is too tall for the highest slots on his Radian (drat). Looking for suggestions for appropriate restraints that are relatively narrow (I have 3 in a second row, with the other two being a high back booster and a RF radian and they just fit as it is) and available in Canada. No idea where to start as I thought I was done with seats until we needed another booster. TIA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ADS

Dillipop

I believe the radian can be used with the shoulders over the top slots. Check your manual to double check if it's the same in canada as the US.

The only seat that I know of that for sure has higher slots than the radian is the britax frontier. It's not narrow though. Do you have a third row you can use at all?

aept

The radian is actually allowed to be used with the child's shoulders above the top slots (FF) as long as they meet the other parameters to fit in the seat. (This is NOT ok for most other FF harnessed seats, as you probably already know.) If you feel comfortable continuing to use the radian and he does not seems uncomfy you may continue to do so. I did with my oldest son until his shoulders were about an inch above the top slots. After that we rearranged seats a bit to give the radian to a younger brother and he was a little more mature and ready for a booster. The other parameters to fit in the seat include the child's weight, height (although this one people also "fudge" since some kids have all their height in their torso, others in their legs), and then the height of their head in relation to the top of the seat. The tops of the ears should not be above the top of the seat (for FF.) My son never hit any of those other parameters even when he was an inch over the top shoulder slots - not even close.

Cross-posted with dillipop who is more concise and a faster typist, I see!

jwilliams

The Sureride has taller slots than the Radian - that's available in Canada, right? I see it on the TRU.ca site. It's wider than the Radian, but smaller than the Frontier, and might work next to a RF Radian.

ETA: the Sureride is a convertible, but I'm suggesting it because my daughter isn't much below where your son is on the Radian, and she has tons of space in the Sureride. Also, it's inexpensive.

featherhead

OP is in Canada where it is not allowed to use the Radian with shoulders over the top slot.

You really have few options. You can try the Nautilus, Frontier, Maestro, and SecureKid 300/400, but none of them are near as narrow as the Radian. Good luck :(

featherhead

The Sureride has taller slots than the Radian - that's available in Canada, right? I see it on the TRU.ca site. It's wider than the Radian, but smaller than the Frontier, and might work next to a RF Radian.

Forgot about that one! I would try that one as well.

3kitty

Yes, in another thread someone pointed out that the above-the-shoulder doesn't apply in Canada. Although, if it's considered safe in the US, not sure why it would be less safe here.

Anyone know if the newer Radians (Diono vs Sunshine Kids) have higher slots? Have to get the tape measure out. DS1 is in an older one, but I have a newer one his baby brother is riding in, and I'd rather get the baby a new seat (something shorter than the radian for RF).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tiggercat

I'd try the sureride/titan65. I have one as a back up for my son (also over THS on radian) and he has quite a bit of space to grow. It also puzzles decently with other seats and is a simple install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC