Marathon vs Guide 65 - which will last longer RF when long-torsoed?

RickyB

The only 2 carseats we've tried that fit front to back for 2 tall parents and leave enough space for 2 adult passengers in both my Mazda 3 and my husband's Mitsubishi RVR are the Guide 65 and the Marathon. The MyRide also fit front to back but we have 4 adults to fit on a weekly basis for a 2 hour period so it was seriously squishy. We don't really need 2 seats because we can't keep one installed in the RVR due to the equipment my husband carries in it.

My son is 6.5 months old, and is in the 98th percentile for height and 85th for weight (haven't had him measured in a couple months though). His seated shoulder height is about 12.5 inches and he definitely has more height in his torso than his legs.

I know neither the Guide or the Marathon will last very long RF for him, but is the Marathon likely to last significantly longer? Either way I'm hoping to buy a new RF seat when it's outgrown as perhaps we'll have a different vehicle by then, or maybe different seats will be available. I'm leaning towards the Guide since it's less than half the cost and it doesn't seem like the Marathon would last very much longer anyway.

Another option I've thought of is putting the MyRide in my car, and using the Guide 65 in my husband's vehicle for the 2 hours a week plus when we fly to visit grandparents since we need to fit 4 adults in their vehicles then too. If he outgrows the Guide around she 2 I think I would be okay with turning him FF for the 2 hours a week if we don't have a different vehicle.

Any thoughts? We did also try the SureRide, Radian & Fllo and none fit.

ADS

bbartlettnfld

If moving the seat in and out is going to be a common event, I would go with the Marathon-for ease of install alone.

I'm not as familiar with the install of the Guide to know how it compares, its not as common a purchase here Vs. the other Dorel/Safety 1st offerings.

jwilliams

I think that between the two seats, the Guide will last a long torsoed child longer. Its shell is 25" vs 24" for the Marathon. The Guide has a 40" RF height limit but I think it would actually get you the whole way to 40", whereas you might run out of shell on the Marathon before then with a long torsoed child.

RickyB

I think that between the two seats, the Guide will last a long torsoed child longer. Its shell is 25" vs 24" for the Marathon. The Guide has a 40" RF height limit but I think it would actually get you the whole way to 40", whereas you might run out of shell on the Marathon before then with a long torsoed child.

I should clarify that in Canada the Guide has a 36" RF height limit which my son is expected to hit around his second birthday. If the Marathon would last until he's 3 I wouldn't mind spending more on it, but if he's going to outgrow it by 2 years, 3 months or something I will just save money now and hope that our vehicle or seat options change by that time.

RickyB

If moving the seat in and out is going to be a common event, I would go with the Marathon-for ease of install alone.

I'm not as familiar with the install of the Guide to know how it compares, its not as common a purchase here Vs. the other Dorel/Safety 1st offerings.

Good point, the Guide is in my garage because I ordered it through Costco and I'll try actually installing it to compare. I also like the no-thread harness on the Marathon!

jwilliams

I should clarify that in Canada the Guide has a 36" RF height limit which my son is expected to hit around his second birthday. If the Marathon would last until he's 3 I wouldn't mind spending more on it, but if he's going to outgrow it by 2 years, 3 months or something I will just save money now and hope that our vehicle or seat options change by that time.

Sorry! I missed that. We need a maple leaf pop-up alert.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
How soon do you need the seat?
The Boulevard CT should be on shelves soon and will last longer and has multiple recline options.

RickyB

How soon do you need the seat?
The Boulevard CT should be on shelves soon and will last longer and has multiple recline options.

That sounds like it would be perfect, but my son is at the height limit for his bucket seat right now and I don't think we will be able to push it for another month. Maybe it will be my replacement seat in 2 years!

Hmm I am now seeing Oct 30th in some searches instead of mid to late November, I am going to get out my tape measure tomorrow and decide from there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC