2 rearfacing side by side in 2009 ford Taurus x

U

Unregistered

I have a 2009 ford Taurus x and am struggling to get 2
Seats rearfacing behind driver and middle seat in 2nd row. 26mth old (26lbs 33.75") currently in radian RXT (bane of my existence, does NOT fit nicely in my car) and 13lb 9.5wk old in peg perego 5-65 convertible. I've had the seats both outboard but need to access the 3rd row for 8yo (backless booster) and 12yo - they've been entering thru the hatch for 9.5wks, but that's not feasible in the fall/winter with rain and snow! Does anyone have any experience getting 2 rearfacing seats to fit in this vehicle? I'd prefer not to spend another $800 on seats, but if I have to I have to. Thanks in advance!
Ps - in Canada

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Welcome to car-seat.org!

I understand the frustration! I had a 2006 Explorer that didn't play very nice with a Radian. Do you know anyone with a MyRide 65 or have a BRU nearby? To look a it, you might think I'm crazy, because it's so wide, but that's just at the cup holders. At the base, where it meets the Radian, it's super narrow. If you could RF one kiddo in the Radian in the middle (so no cupholders to impede the seat tumble) and a MyRide outboard, it might work. I also really love the MyRide for babies. It fit mine better than an infant seat. Another possibility is the Titan 65/SureRide

amelia222

I think we tried the myride but it didn't work, right? The radian needs to be super upright to fit even in the middle and it makes the myride too upright when they puzzle together.

This mama is local to me and I have met with her at Sears to try to make something work. The middle seat is crazy narrow.

kathysr98

I could put a RN in the middle seat of my Freestyle, and I think it's the same as the Taurus X. I did have the newer style, narrow RN boot. Is yours the narrow one? Any RN after late 2008, I think it is, should have that style.

There was a learning curve to getting the seat in that spot, but it wasn't too bad after I got it figured out. I remember buckling the seat in, and then pulling really hard on the seat belt, pulling it flat toward the side door until the seat was completely tight before locking the belt and feeding it back into the retractor. I *think* I may have leaned the seat back a click or two while I was putting it in and then put it back upright to tighten it more, or maybe I buckled it in and then released the seatback forward a little to take up more slack and then locked it back in. Either way, I know a RN would work in that spot, since I used on e there for a couple of years.

Hi, I'm the original poster :)
I assume RN is a radian? In 2008 I don't think the Freestyle had advanced airbags - was the RN touching the seats? I can get the radian in the middle, but it nests between the driver and passages seat and with advanced airbags, that's a no no (that I was doing wrong for a year!). I'm wondering if 2 safety 1st guide 65s would fit?

kathysr98

Hi, I'm the original poster :) I assume RN is a radian? In 2008 I don't think the Freestyle had advanced airbags - was the RN touching the seats? I can get the radian in the middle, but it nests between the driver and passages seat and with advanced airbags, that's a no no (that I was doing wrong for a year!). I'm wondering if 2 safety 1st guide 65s would fit?

Yes, a RN is a Radian.
Have you checked your manual about the airbag situation? Ford usually doesn't prohibit touching or bracing on the front seats. My 2007 Freestyle Limited did not prohibit it, and listed a way to verify that the touching or bracing wasn't interfering with the airbags.

ETA: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/09taxog2e.pdf

That's the manual for the 2009 Taurus X. The seatbelt & airbag section starts on page 184. I read through it, and it does not prohibit items touching the front seats. It does discuss how to tell if the passenger airbag is working correctly, and includes items touching the seat as a possible cause of an issue. I installed my RN, tested it according to the information in the manual, and never had a problem. Even my friend who weighs about 110 lbs caused the airbag light to display correctly, so I had no trouble with the car seat touching the front seats.

Last edited:

SynEpona

I have a Radian (one of the last ones before they were Diono) center RFng with angle adjuster, and a Chicco Keyfit 22, driver outboard, in my 2006 Freestyle. It's a very tight fit, but possible. The Keyfit does need to be pulled over towards the door slightly.

We ended up removing the 40% seat completely, as it was too difficult for the boostered child in the 3rd row to fold it down on his own and the other Keyfit is 1" too deep front to back to fit. The 40% portion also got stuck on the upper side of the Radian every time it was folded.

This reduces it back to a 6 passenger vehicle (which it was to begin with, I had the captains chairs in the middle row originally, but we replaced them with the bench seat last year.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC