Air travel - 6yr old

Cathie

Hi there! Please forgive me if I am asking the same questions as many others!! I have done several searches through the forum, and have found lots of helpful information, but I really want to be sure about my specific situation. If there are links to other discussions that you think would be helpful, I am happy to read through them. :)

We are traveling in July from Canada (actually, we will likely fly out of Buffalo) to California. We have a daughter who will be 7 in April. She is on the small side - currently 46", and 43lbs. We have a Radian (I'll have to double check the model). She was RFing until last fall, and is now FFing.

I would like to know if we are going to regret hauling the Radian on the flights... (there will be two connecting flights each way)??? I would intend to install on the plane - especially as she will have a seat.

We will be renting a car when we arrive. I am not interested in trusting a car rental seat, and am not comfortable moving to a backless booster. I understand that a highback booster isn't allowed on the plane as it is intended to be used with a shoulder and lap belt combo (correct me if I'm wrong on that). I'm not one to jump ahead quickly with CR steps - I am planning to use our Radian as long as possible, so a booster isn't what I'd be headed for anytime soon anyway. So, I think using our Radian on the plane and then in the rental car is our plan. I know it is heavy, and I know it will be a pain in the butt when boarding, but I'm stubborn... ;-)

Would there be any advantage to getting a carseat bag to use in the airport?? I'm pretty sure we have the strap that came with our seat, but the bag might be nice with the backpack option.

Also, the rental car info mentions there is a shuttle from the airport to their office. What are the options/suggestions for that?? Is it likely to be a regular car? Meaning, I'll have to install the Radian in a random car before we can get to the office? Or, could it be a "bus" of some sort??? I have no idea and don't want to be surprised with a stressful situation!!! (Ok, ok, I know I need to do some deep breathing!!)

Any thoughts about this specific seat? Or, what you would do in our situation??

Thanks in advance!
Cathie

ADS

Dillipop

The shuttle will likely be a bus. You won't use the seat on the bus, just carry it on.

I'd take your radian. It installs easily on the plane and allows the child to use the tray table. I've attached ours to a luggage cart to easily get through the airport and don't find it any harder than other seats to lug through. My radians have a plastic piece sewn into the cover over the belt path but if yours don't, you may want to bein. A small blanket to fold over the buckle to make it more comfortable while flying, since the airplane buckle will likely fall right at your child's back.

The Radian really shouldn't be a problem at all when boarding. It's not hard to install on aircraft. Do let the gate agent know early that you'll be installing a carseat on the airplane and are hoping to board early to do that. If they see you have a 6yo and there aren't other younger ones on the flight, they may skip the "families with young children..." early boarding announcement.

If you are taking rolling carryon bags, you can strap the Radian to the front of one of those if you want to get it through the airport -- and it's narrow enough to fit through the aisle of the plane that way as well. Or take a folding luggage cart.

You could wear it as a backpack but it's heavy enough, we've found it's easier to roll.

Cathie

Good ideas! Thank you!

The Radian really shouldn't be a problem at all when boarding. It's not hard to install on aircraft. Do let the gate agent know early that you'll be installing a carseat on the airplane and are hoping to board early to do that. If they see you have a 6yo and there aren't other younger ones on the flight, they may skip the "families with young children..." early boarding announcement.

If you are taking rolling carryon bags, you can strap the Radian to the front of one of those if you want to get it through the airport -- and it's narrow enough to fit through the aisle of the plane that way as well. Or take a folding luggage cart.

You could wear it as a backpack but it's heavy enough, we've found it's easier to roll.

cantabdad

I agree that the Radian is a great seat for air travel as long as you are comfortable with the weight. As you may know, it can be a little tricky to install in certain cars and seating positions, but as long as you are renting a typical family sedan or SUV you should be fine.

A few other things:
- On any US-registered airline you have the right to use the carseat as long as the child is within its height/weight limits. Some airline staff might be unaccustomed to seeing a 6 year old in a carseat, so just come prepared with a printout from the airline's website of their carseat policy. (You could also print out FAA's summary, but most airline folks seem to refer to their own company policy first.) Also make sure the "approved for motor vehicles and aircraft" sticker on the Radian is visible/legible in case you are asked.

- If you fly from Canada on a Canadian airline, you don't have quite the same absolute right, but Transport Canada does encourage carseat use and most airlines seem to accommodate it without any issue. In a worst-case scenario where they refuse to let you use the carseat, the Radian could be folded and stored in an overhead bin. Your daughter is over 40 pounds, which is FAA's guideline for being able to safely use just the aircraft lap belt.

- The shuttle to the rental car facility will probably be a bus, but on some occasions I've had them pick me up in a regular car or some sort of minibus. If you're uncomfortable with the shuttle vehicle they provide, you can always just have one parent ride to the rental office, get the car, and then come back to get you.

Cathie

Ah, also some good thoughts! Thank you!

I was just looking at the airline we are likely to book with (Southwest out of Buffalo), and noticed the 40lb comment. For sure I will have the airline and FAA information in my purse just in case (and will try to remember the "kill them with kindness" approach even though I will be stressed!!) I would prefer to have her in it, but I am willing to be open to options if they give us a hassle, but ONLY if they will either allow it in the overhead, or gate check it (and be able to see how it is handled as others have mentioned). I prefer it for the plane, but my main priority is making sure I have a seat I am comfortable with for the rental car. I will not be a happy camper otherwise!!

I like the idea of waiting with her at the airport if the shuttle will be an issue. Once we book things, I will get in touch with the company to confirm what is likely to happen.

I'm going to check her seat later today, and make sure the stickers are still ok!

Thanks again!
Cathie

I agree that the Radian is a great seat for air travel as long as you are comfortable with the weight. As you may know, it can be a little tricky to install in certain cars and seating positions, but as long as you are renting a typical family sedan or SUV you should be fine.

A few other things:
- On any US-registered airline you have the right to use the carseat as long as the child is within its height/weight limits. Some airline staff might be unaccustomed to seeing a 6 year old in a carseat, so just come prepared with a printout from the airline's website of their carseat policy. (You could also print out FAA's summary, but most airline folks seem to refer to their own company policy first.) Also make sure the "approved for motor vehicles and aircraft" sticker on the Radian is visible/legible in case you are asked.

- If you fly from Canada on a Canadian airline, you don't have quite the same absolute right, but Transport Canada does encourage carseat use and most airlines seem to accommodate it without any issue. In a worst-case scenario where they refuse to let you use the carseat, the Radian could be folded and stored in an overhead bin. Your daughter is over 40 pounds, which is FAA's guideline for being able to safely use just the aircraft lap belt.

- The shuttle to the rental car facility will probably be a bus, but on some occasions I've had them pick me up in a regular car or some sort of minibus. If you're uncomfortable with the shuttle vehicle they provide, you can always just have one parent ride to the rental office, get the car, and then come back to get you.

It can't hurt to have the info available for if anything comes up, but I'd highly doubt you'll have any sort of hassle, as neither airline policy nor FAA policy prohibit you from using the seat on the plane. You will need to install the seat in a window seat away from the exit row. If anyone gives you a questioning look, just smile. If a flight attendant were to ask about her weight, I'd smile and make some comment about how she's always been a peanut. Our 5yo has sat in her Radian on all sorts of airlines and we've never been questioned about it.

If the sticker has come off her seat, then flag the FAA certification page in the Radian's manual so you can find it easily.

kathysr98

I used my daughter's Radian on four flights when she was very close to the size of your daughter. I had one FA ask to see the sticker, and no other questions or concerns. I bought a 2" or 3" metal keyring to use to attach the Radian to my rolling suitcase. The top tether & LATCH belt hook onto it from the top and sides and keep it secure.

I would absolutely avoid gate checking her seat since those items are very likely to be mishandled just like regular luggage.

pooh136

We also travelled with our Radian attached to a rolling carry on. I used a small carabiner clip, but have hear of using metal rings to attach the seat as well.

Dillipop

The radian is the only seat I've been asked to see the sticker on and that was in 2007- pretty early in it's life as a seat. The attendant saw me unfold it and tried to give me the whole-you can't use a booster on the plane. I showed her the straps and the sticker and was good to go.

Cathie

Thank you everyone! I feel more confident now!! I just hit "purchase" on the tickets!!!! :)

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Cathie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC