S/O RF to age 4 - WWYD?

What should Jessie get at age 3, approx 28-30lbs?

• Get another RF seat for Ty so Jessie can stay RF longer

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Give Tyler the TF, get Jessie an FF seat such as Nautilus or Frontier

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (am I missing something?)

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Mommy0608

In the other thread, some of you have said you wouldn't buy a new seat to keep a 4 year old (or even 2-3 year old) RF longer.... so I'm wondering what you'd do in this situation.

Jessie will be 3 in June, weighs 27lbs right now. Tyler will likely outgrow the SS1 late summer or early fall. At that time, Jessie will be approaching 3.5 years old, and will probably be close to 30lbs. She's currently in a TF. My original plan was to buy another TF to keep her RF (both kiddos would be in a TF). However, the TF won't work well behind my driver's seat so I need something different.

What would you do? (See poll)

ADS

mommaon112903

This is just personal perfernce, and maybe it comes from not being able to turn Josef back around RF when I "saw the light" but I would RF my own child until after their 4th b-day, turning FF at 5yrs of age, if not sooner either due to weight or height.

When I saw the light, the only seat that would have provided any RF room was the SKR65 and the weight limit was only 33lbs-he was 30-31lbs at 3.6yrs of age. If the True Fit had been an option he would have gotten a True Fit instead of a Regent and rode RFing in it until last October.

Pixels

First vote, and it was Other. :)

If you can find another RFing convertible, that is reasonably priced based on your budget, that will fit RFing in your car, then I'd get that. At her age, it's still 3-4 times safer RFing.

But if you can't find a seat that works, then I'd turn her FFing, and be okay with it.

Unfortunately, I think you're quickly running out of options. She fits in the TF, but the TF doesn't fit behind the driver's seat. I think you said the Radian didn't fit there, either. The next shorter seats I think are in the size range of big Britax and the Avenue, which I believe you said she doesn't have much time left in, and by the time Tyler outgrows the SS1, she'd have even less time. Probably not enough time to make it worth buying a seat for.

Mommy0608

My gut is telling me to find a way to keep her RF in the True Fit, and get something else for Tyler (have NO idea what yet though). I can't imagine the guilt I'd feel if something were to happen and I had put her FF. I was a little surprised to see that so many people wouldn't try to keep a 3-4 year old RF longer though, so I figured I'd see how that plays out for my own personal situation. I know that by age 3 her body is more able to handle it, but I don't know. I'm not sure I'm okay with that.

Thanks for the insight. :)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If you can fit a different RF seat without compromising your own safety and your daughter is content to RF, I'd do that. I would not compromise my own safety by sitting too close to the airbag to keep a child RF at age 3.5 (if I had to I would for a much younger child).

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I was a little surprised to see that so many people wouldn't try to keep a 3-4 year old RF longer though,

I know this isn't All About Me, but I wonder if maybe I wasn't clear. I'd WANT to keep a 3-4yo RF. I wouldn't go into debt or break the law to do it, though (I might for a younger child), and while she wouldn't get the final vote her wishes would be considered (they would not for a younger child).

Mommy0608

Pixels, the seat wouldn't be for Jessica... she'd still keep the TF for use RF and I'd get something else for Tyler... so her outgrowing another seat (such as the Avenue) wouldn't be an issue. Tyler would use that seat.

Yes, I should have clarified... Radian is out, Britax convertibles are out (I'm just not a huge fan, plus the price). I think my best bet would be an Avenue or perhaps a new 3-in-1 (yes, I'm aware that it's a crappy booster). We're definitely keeping the TF, it fits on the passenger side, it's just a matter of who gets it and what to get for the other child.

NannyMom

If it were me and my children.....

I would get another convertible. Let whomever have the TF and buy another convertible. Maybe a tech MA. How does Jessie fit in the MA? Or this new 'wonderful' seat seat Graco has coming out.

Pixels

What about a Scenera or Avenue for Tyler till he outgrows it, then he gets the TF and Jessie goes FFing? I'm just thinking those are less expensive options that will buy Jessie some more time RFing.

ETA: crosspost :)

mykidsmom

what if you kept her rf in the True Fit for a while, and moved Tyler to a different rfing seat that would work behind your driver seat. Then when Jessie did get to heavy or Tyler got to tall for his new seat, he could have the True Fit rear facing, and you could move Jessie to a new forward facing seat then.

Mommy0608

I know this isn't All About Me, but I wonder if maybe I wasn't clear. I'd WANT to keep a 3-4yo RF. I wouldn't go into debt or break the law to do it, though (I might for a younger child), and while she wouldn't get the final vote her wishes would be considered (they would not for a younger child).

Thanks. I didn't mean that directed at any particular responses on the RF 4 year old thread. I just glanced through the replies, not really paying attention to who said what, but noticed that there were some who said they'd consider the child's wishes, not buy another seat for RF for that age, etc. so I just thought I'd ask. For some reason I'm having a hard time deciding... I know I have a few months yet, but I want to be sure that I don't regret the decision I make.

Good point about the air bags. We won't move our seats up any farther for that very reason, which is why we're having a hard time getting this sorted out. The TF fits behind the passenger seat, but barely. It does fit on the driver's side but it would have to be too upright (past the 35 degrees) and the harness adjuster wouldn't be accessible.

jujumum

Her growth curve might be really slow right now, so it could take ages for her to get to 35lbs.

I'm not happy with the current versions of the GN & Frontier and would rather keep my kids rf as long as possible. So if I were you, I would get a BV for Tyler, keep her in the TF, and keep them in these seats untill she outgrows the TF ff.

Or, I would get a lower cost seat for Tyler (Uptown, Avenue, or the closeout FPSVD) to use just till she is over 35lbs, then purchase the latest and greatest GN/Frontier type of seat for her, and move Tyler to the TF.

:)

Mommy0608

If it were me and my children.....

I would get another convertible. Let whomever have the TF and buy another convertible. Maybe a tech MA. How does Jessie fit in the MA? Or this new 'wonderful' seat seat Graco has coming out.

Considered the MA... but honestly, I'm just not a fan. :eek:

What about a Scenera or Avenue for Tyler till he outgrows it, then he gets the TF and Jessie goes FFing? I'm just thinking those are less expensive options that will buy Jessie some more time RFing.

what if you kept her rf in the True Fit for a while, and moved Tyler to a different rfing seat that would work behind your driver seat. Then when Jessie did get to heavy or Tyler got to tall for his new seat, he could have the True Fit rear facing, and you could move Jessie to a new forward facing seat then.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm leaning toward. Probably Avenue since the Scenera lacks EPS foam... the Avenue does have it, right?

Also like the idea of the new Graco seat. I think if that seat comes out in time, fits my car, harness adjuster is easy to use, and the shell height is worthwhile, that'll be the seat we get for Tyler... that would be my 1st choice. I'm trying to come up with a back-up plan so that I don't get too focused on this mysterious seat incase it doesn't come out in time or doesn't work. ;)

Mommy0608

Her growth curve might be really slow right now, so it could take ages for her to get to 35lbs.

I'm not happy with the current versions of the GN & Frontier and would rather keep my kids rf as long as possible. So if I were you, I would get a BV for Tyler, keep her in the TF, and keep them in these seats untill she outgrows the TF ff.

Or, I would get a lower cost seat for Tyler (Uptown, Avenue, or the closeout FPSVD) to use just till she is over 35lbs, then purchase the latest and greatest GN/Frontier type of seat for her, and move Tyler to the TF.

:)

Good point, I'm not thrilled with the GN right now because of the booster fit and the crotch buckle depth. I also don't like the install issues of the Frontier. I'm thinking another lower cost convertible would be the best bet, then when she outgrows the TF (or Avenue/Uptown/other convertible, if Tyler takes the TF to stay RF longer) I'll get her an FF-only seat. Hopefully by then, there will be some improvements to the current seat or perhaps new choices on the market.

Okay...... I know she'll be keeping the TF to stay RF to the max. Now I just need to figure out what seat to get Tyler, but that'll depend on when he outgrows the SS1 and what's available at that time.

Thanks everyone for the input, I truly appreciate it. :love:

Pixels

The Avenue has foam. I've heard people say that the adjuster can get buried RFing, particularly if you install it more upright. Just make sure you check that in your car before committing to it. It would be awful if you ended up with two seats you (or your DH) hated for the same reason. :(

brightredmtn

I have a peanut too and I will still regardless of his age RF him to the limits of his seat. I will also happily buy him a My Ride if they do indeed get released. If we do get the My Ride I *might* forgo importing a Swedish seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC