Question Buckle Safety

K

Kristina Linke

My son is almost 5 years old, and he has recently been able to unlatch the top buckle of his car seat. We have tried pulling over and re-buckling it. We have tried being very firm with him. We have even gotten really serious and told him if another vehicle hit us, he could fly out of his car seat and die. He is very defiant, and most of the time he does not listen. It scares me.

That being said, is there a safe option for me that I can do in order to keep it buckled? Or is there a specific car seat that little hands can't pull open? I'd hate to have to buy another car seat, however, we are in the market for one for our littlest, and I could easily switch his to hers and buy HIM the new one. Either way, I would just like to know that my son is safe.

Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

walnutgold

There are several different clip add ons that your son could benefit from. Monkey Tyz go over the clip and prevent little hands from reaching it, you could also try the button up shirt trick. You put your child in an unbuttoned shirt, plop em in the seat, buckle them in, tighten it up, and redo the buttons over top. Both of these options can be figured out by kids, but they can help a lot by slowing them down.
Posted via Mobile Device

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Monkey Tyz are not a safe option.

Is your child neurotypical? If so, pulling over and fixing it without making a big deal but possibly running out of time to go somewhere fun because he messed With his seat, combined With positive reinforcement (stickers or happy faces on a chart to earn a treat For each ride he stays safely buckled) often works.

If not other strategies may be needed.

What seat are You using? Is it adjusted With the straps above his shoulders (assumi forward facing) and do the straps pass the pinch test?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC