Industry Group Warns Unrestrained Pets Can Cause Serious Aut

ADS
R

Robert

Re: Industry Group Warns Unrestrained Pets Can Cause Serious

Just like we tell parents as CPS advocates, anything loose in a crash will go flying aroung inside the vehicle. Most of the major pet shops sell seat belt harnesses for dogs. I have a 60 pound golden retreiver and as the stats go, (weight X speed) 60 pound golder X 30 MPH = 1800 pounds crash force.

U

UlrikeDG

What brand is it, and how well do you like it?

I have an 18.5 kg (40 ish lb) collie/shepherd mix, and I've been looking for something like that for him. Unfortunately, I have to do my shopping online (we're overseas w/ the military), so I'm concerned about finding a goood fit. I'm also worried, because many of the "seat belts" for dogs I've seen obviously won't hold in a significant crash.

C

Caviller

On the other hand...

A flimsy harness might be better than nothing. Even if it does hold for a fraction of a second, that can reduce its momentum quite a bit.

Does Saturn have a cage/divider for the cargo section of its wagon? If it doesn't interfere with the tether straps, that might be an option too.

U

UlrikeDG

Good question. I should look into that either way...

I told DH about the diappearing rear seat on the Odyssey, and he doesn't want anything else, which means we'll be stuck with the Saturn a while longer. Honestly, I really do want an Odyssey some day, I just didn't expect us to actually GET ONE quite as soon as he's planning. Meanwhile, I guess I'll need to do SOMETHING about the cargo issue in the Saturn, and your suggestion seems to be the most logical choice.

C

Caviller

Don't forget about the Mazda MPV

They have the same folding rear seat, and switchable 2nd row chairs. It's a bit smaller, but also a lot less expensive. It gets reasonable safety results, too.

R

Robert

Re: Industry Group Warns Unrestrained Pets Can Cause Serious

The harness I use for my 65 pound golden retreiver is a XL. I checked and www.persmart.com has the harness on line. Its called a easy rider car harness. Hope this helps.

A

ASC

Seat Belt for Pup

In my nesting frenzy, I added a seat belt for the dog to my quest to make the car as safe as possible for my baby. I bought the Ruff Rider Roadie harness recently and feel it's a good, strong harness that will stand up to a test (praying I'll never have to test it!). You can see more at www.ruffrider.com/.

I'm not "related" to the company in any way, just thought I'd pass along a resource as I often seek advice from this site.

ASC

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC