Car Seats in Side Crashes: USA Today Article

ADS

mamamia

More evidence to support my decision to put my girls in Wizards. I get more comments than you could imagine for getting my 3 year old a convertible over a booster...

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Nice article-

Insist on side curtain airbags in all seating rows if you purchase a new vehicle!

T

Trish

Ok...any advice here?...

I have an older minivan w/no side curtain airbags. Where should I seat everyone?

I drive a '99 Mercury Villager. Right now I have DS #2 RF in an Advantage behind the drivers seat. DS #1 (12yo) sits next to him. This is a "least protected child, in a more protected spot" logic. I have DD #2 FF in a Marathon in the rear middle (lap belt spot). DD#1 (10yo) sits outboard next to DD#1.

I'll need to get a new seat(s) sometime anyway (for the second car). What about a WZ for the baby (then using the Advantage for the second car)? I think DD has a year left in her MA (but she should be fine because she's in the middle. I should probably get a BG for DD#2 for the second car though (since I'm guessing the baby will be in the center rear, and she'll be outboard) Seems like DD#1 is in a bad spot, but there's really no other option right?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like a good arrangement-

If the seats fit well, you could also consider moving DD#2 FF to the outboard rear spot so DD#1 can sit in the middle. The Marathon should provide a lot more side impact protecton than a seatbelt alone. Keep in mind that most carseats with a 5-point harness provide reasonable side impact protection.

If you are buying a new seat anyway, a Wizard would be handy for the baby in an outboard second row spot. You get the added side impact protection and ease of loading/unloading, too.

Again, I think your arrangement is fine as it is as long as everyone is properly restrained. It's great that they are all in the back for safety!

T

Trish

hmmm...

that would leave DD#1 in a lap belt (remember, this is a 1999 van, 6 of the seats have shoulder belts and headrests, one has neither, that's why the MA is there now).

Tamie

Senior Community Member
Trish,

I have a '98 Villager, and my configeration is very similar to yours. My 4-year-old DD is in the third row center in a Marathon. My 6-year-old DS is second row driver outboard in a Bodyguard. My 10-year-old DS is second row passenger outboard in the lap/shoulder belt.

We've tried ALL manner of seating arrangements in this van and are happiest with this one, for many different reasons. I feel very good about everyone's safety.

Now if I could stop lusting over the '04 Sienna, which DD and I test-drove today, and focus on the fact that the Villager is paid for, has a lot of life left in it and is driven locally, I'd be in a perfect frame of mind. :p

Tamie - mom of three, tech and always wanting what she doesn't have

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC