Can carseats touch each other?

U

Unregistered

I have a Ford Explorer 2002 XLT. The seats in the backseat are rather narrow and if I place one child in the middle seat and one on a side, the carseats touch. Are the risks associated with these two seats hitting each other in an accident higher or lower than the risks of putting each child by a door and leaving the center seat empty?

I was told seats shouldn't touch because the impact of them hitting each other was really dangerous. False? Thanks!!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
That is false....

However, you must always thoroughly read & re-read both the vehicle & carseat manuals: my 1999 Chevy Blazer, for example, did not allow any carseat installed in the middle :(

The issue with carseats touching is that they might only seem to be secure when in fact they are not -- they must be independently secure (less than 1" movement in any direction at the belt path)!

What I do with 3 across situations is to install them all (middle 1st), then take the middle out to see if the 2 on the sides are still secure ... if so then I put the middle one back in. If not, then it's time to try rearranging the seats or even go to Babies-R-Us & play around with other carseat options to find just the right ones to puzzle together for your children & vehicle :eek:

Also, make sure to get your install checked > www.seatcheck.org :)
  • What vehicle year, make model?
  • What are the kids' ages, weights & heights?
  • What carseats do you currently have?

U

Unregistered

thanks. did your owner's manual say "no car seat in the middle"? if all seats have belts, what would the problem be? my owner's mabual does not address the topic.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC