Boosters for big kids

tchrgrrl

My kids:
9yrs (12/02) 75 pounds, about 55" tall - Frontier 85
7yrs (01/05) 67 pounds, about 47-48" tall - Regent (exp 11/12)
Both kids have longer torsos, solid with relatively broad shoulders
we have 2 Graco Turbo Booster HBs for travel/infrequent use 2nd car/Grandma's car

We need to buy a new seat in the coming months and may do it sooner rather than later because my 9 year old is complaining of his back hurting in his seat. Upon further questioning his back is actually just sweaty. His Frontier has the slick sort of material down the middle back which is not working well for him when he gets in the van after running and playing and being sweaty. He does still have some growing room in the Frontier but I know that at almost 9.5 I should probably chill out and let him move to a seat belt positioning booster full time. :eek:

I have been considering getting another Frontier for my 7 year old. But I am not sure if that is overkill since we are at the point that our original Frontier can go to the 7 year old for use as a 5pt and we could get a BPB for the 9 year old. I drive a 2006 Kia Sedona and they sit in the captains chairs - with LATCH and tethers available.

I used to be carseat obsessed (served us well when we got in a side impact accident in 2006) but I haven't had a need for new seats for the last several years so I am not current with what is out there. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ADS

henrietta

Unless your 9 y r old is going to max out the Frontier as a booster (it makes a really tall booster!), I'd pass down the Frontier to the 7 yr old to use harnessed (since you're saying you want to keep him harnessed), and I'd buy the 9 yr old a new booster.

Some options for a tall high back are the Diono Monterey (which has adjustable width sides), Britax Parkway (not as enclosed as the Monterey, so probably not as hot to him), Recaro ProSport...

A no back booster is certainly also an option for him at his age and size, but it's your choice as mama! (If I was determined to keep my 7 y r old at least in a high back booster, I know I'd be reluctant to move the 9 yr old to one, b/c my younger child would argue horribly that it's not fair. LOL)

How does the 9 yr old fit in the high back Turbos? If he has torso growing room in those, he'll have loads of room in the high back boosters I mentioned. Plus, you could always just use one of them.

hths

henrietta

ETA: Provided that your child sits properly and fits the booster properly, there's nothing-no evidence-that indicates that a harnessed seat is safer for kids ages 7 and 9 than a booster seat. NTHSA recommends that kids ages 4-7 remain in their harnessed seat as long as possible, and you're doing that w/your 7 yr old. (-;

Baylor

Honestly I would get a lbb for 9 yr old and a hbb for 7 yr old.

I would keep the FR for long trips for 7 yr old but at those ages I would not hesitate to move to boosters for them.

auto correct hates me

bubbaray

Are you sure they both still fit in the TB??

I would be fine with LBBs for both or a LBB for the 9 yo and a HBB for the 7 yo. I would probably buy two LBBs if it were me

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC