A "what would you do?" question

T

tross1140

A "what would you do?" question

Hi there - I posted an intro in the coffee break. I hope it's OK if I jump in here now with a question from a very green CPS tech to much more experienced ones?

I moved my daughter out of her Roundabout in early November, when her checkup at the pediatrician revealed she was 40 lbs. (I hate those doctor's scales!) She's 3 1/2 years old and very mature for her age, helped along by two older brothers, I suppose.

She and her 5 1/2-year-old brother are now in Graco Turbo boosters. My son previously had been riding in a Britax Cruiser, but honestly I've never liked it. The seat belt guide on the shoulder always held slack and I've had problems with the adjustable neck support, too. So I did what I thought was good homework and bought them both the Turbo boosters.

They love their seats and have no trouble sitting in them properly. But ... knowledge is a dangerous thing. Since I finished the CPS class, I can't help but think that they should instead be in a 5-point harness.

Are they fine in the Turbo Booster, or should I trust my gut? My husband may roll his eyes at me if I bring up the subject of buying two Huskies (or whatever else is suggested.)

Thanks in advance!
Tamie

ADS
C

Caviller

I think the Turbos are fine-

My son is also 40 pounds. I'd have been happy to have him in a booster, but I was anxious to shop for a Husky. I think kids who are mature enough to stay seated properly in a lap+shoulder belt should be just fine in a booster. If you find them squirming around a lot or putting the belt behind them, then it might be time to consider a Husky:)

The Turbo is a nice model, and should be as safe as any other dedicated booster you will find.

Have a safe new year!

Darren

R

Robert

Re: A "what would you do?" question

Tamie, I commend you for thinking about a 5-part harness but I do concur with Darren.
Don't ever feel bad about posting question on this site. Its what it for.
Robert

M

murphydog77

Hi Tamie. This is a topic I've spent many hours thinking (obsessing!) about. My ds will be 3 in a week and has been hovering dangerously close to 40 lbs. all year. I did buy him a Super Elite and that's what he's currently riding in.

I've thought a lot about keeping him in that seat until he reaches 80 lbs. I know it's safer and I've seen the crash tests. I doubt I will keep him there that long, though. I think he's probably mature enough right now to ride in a belt positioning booster--he doesn't like to move around in his seat--and when he reaches 40 lbs., a booster is our only option in one of our vehicles (SE/Husky won't fit and I have concerns about the Airway).

I think the way I feel about it is a bit like the way parents felt about bike helmets 20 years ago. They knew they were safer, but they didn't pressure their kids to wear them because no one else was wearing them. I'm sure in 20 years we'll all be wearing 5-point harnesses.

I'm not sure I'm articulating this well at all. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone in this dilemma.

Heather

T

tross1140

Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts. Heather, I know exactly what you mean. I wonder if I'm just experiencing a bit of angst after knowing that I did things that were unsafe when my two sons were infants (extra padding and mirrors come immediately to mind.) I just want to do it all right from here on out and help others to do the same.

I'm soaking up as much info here and other sites as I can. Hopefully these connections/perspectives will help me give others the best possible advice when I'm asked to do so.

Thanks again!
Tamie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC