Installation issues - Radian in Honda Pilot

JaniceO

Hi, my 6 yr old DD is finally hitting 40 lbs so I'm trying to to switch her Radian from latch to seatbelt installation in the Passenger side of the 3rd row of our 2011 Honda Pilot.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can pull the lower part of the carseat forward a couple inches even after I all but stand on it pulling the belt tight. Has anyone gotten a good seatbelt installation in that position? I don't even see the locking clip helping since it seems like maybe the length of the seat belt buckle stalks might be the issue.

Thank you!

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
In my 2006, the Radian was essentially incompatible in that position. Not many seats fit there, honestly - but the Recaro ProSport (now Performance Sport) was one of the best fits due to the serpentine belt path. I know things have changed between the 2006 and then 2011 but perhaps that's a jumping off point for you.

JaniceO

Whew... I'm exhausted and frustrated still. I think I figured out why Carrie_R can get the Radian in the 3rd row passenger side. Her 3rd row reclines. I don't think my 3rd row reclines at all. Once I'm not ready to drop, I'll try again to be sure.

We also just weighed my oldest and she's 46 lbs so I need to figure this out yesterday. But, of course, she doesn't weigh enough to booster the Radian which was my other thought...

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It required the recline trick *and* a massive gap between the base of the seat and the seatback, so yeah. It really was borderline incompatible, I really wouldn't want to use it.

Do you have another kiddo who could sit there temporarily while you get it sorted out?

ETA: Recline lever in mine is the same as fold lever, just push back instead of tipping forward :). Might have changed with the body style though.

JaniceO

Yeah, I tried a few times and just couldn't get it. Yesterday she weighed almost 47 lbs. She's gained 8 lbs since her last weight check!! I don't know how I was so off...

Anyway, our only other seat that could work for Faith is Joey's Smart Seat, but it's way too wide for that spot. Last night, I ended up trying the Radian in belt positioning booster mode for her. Her shoulders were above the 4th harness slot and she's 45" tall. She can buckle it, she sat really well... Not 100% ideal since she's 3 lbs shy of the lower weight limit for booster mode, but it's the lesser evil I guess...

Joey and Grace are still rear facing so I'm a bit stuck on being able to move Faith up to the 2nd row. Joey's Smart Seat cannot go rear facing in the middle spot of the 2nd row unless there is an open spot next to him since it's almost impossible to get him up and over the arms otherwise. He's not even two so rear facing is the only option for him. And the girls cannot sit next to each other. They just scream, fight and annoy each other the whole time.

The only other option I could see would be to flip Grace forward facing and give her Faith's spot in the car while moving Faith to the 2nd row next to Joey. But I think I prefer having Faith in a seat that fits well other than her being 3 lbs shy of the booster limit over moving Grace forward facing. Grace is almost 4, but she's only 28 lbs. She's just so petite...

I'll probably buy another seat this week, I just have to decide what. I'm thinking Joey's Smart Seat should go into our 2000 Civic full time. The seat can adjust to fit any of our three kiddos pretty easily, plus the center seat of the Civic has a lap belt that works really well for the Smart Seat base. We could pass Faith's Radian RXT down to Joey and they both can stay rear facing in the 2nd row of the Pilot. Then, get Faith a dedicated booster. I'm leaning towards the Oobr right now. The Frontier is also an option and I could keep her harnessed there, but she is so thrilled about the booster mode... Decisions decisions!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC