Frontier Armrests

laurenrachey

I'll be honest, I'm not loving the armrests. I have not seem them in person, but I would rather do without them. Doesn't it state that they have to be down when driving? It just seems silly, they look rather flimsy (I'm sure they're not really) and it seems like one extra thing to do if you have a bigger child crawling in a smaller car. Seat buckled, chest clip placed and armrest down, KWIM? I know it isn't a big deal, but they don't seem necessary to me.

Anyway (any Britax engineers lurking? :D ), I was looking back over my blog when we first heard about the frontier, and found this picture of a seat from Finland that I had posted, as there had been speculation that it may look similar. Months later, with the seat out, it does have a striking resemblance, only without the armrests. So how about we just do away with those :p

foreignseat.jpg

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
We have the Frontier and I have no issue at all with the armrest. I do think the armrest having to be down while driving is sort of silly. I'm just not sure why they have to be. My dd tends to play with them but I've just told her they have to be down while we are driving.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They are sturdier than they seem, yet pretty soft and comfy. DD doesn't like them since they aren't high enough to be actual armrests.

Problem is? Retailers do most of the seat design in this country... customers get all crazy about wanting armrests and cupholders so retailers tell the seatmakers that, so seats all get armrests and cupholders on them whether seat aficionados like us want them or not :rolleyes:

fyrfightermomma

My daughter on our trip around the neighborhood just kept raising them up no matter how many times I told her to put them down.

Not sure what safety aspect there is with them being up. Anyone know?

laurenrachey

They are sturdier than they seem, yet pretty soft and comfy. DD doesn't like them since they aren't high enough to be actual armrests.

Problem is? Retailers do most of the seat design in this country... customers get all crazy about wanting armrests and cupholders so retailers tell the seatmakers that, so seats all get armrests and cupholders on them whether seat aficionados like us want them or not :rolleyes:

The funniest part of that is, that's why I bought a 3in1 when DS was 7 months...before I began researching carseats like I was writing a thesis. I'm like "oh look, this one has lots of fluffy pads AND a cupholder and armrests! That must mean it is nice!" LOL. Hindsight :rolleyes:

Heather98012

Does it specifically say they have to be down? I read the manual so long ago, I don't remember for sure.

I guess my dd is the odd man out; she could care less about the armrests & doesn't even lift them to get in. I don't know that I've seen her lift them once. She did wiggle it once & said "Look Mama" but I just told her not to play with it & it hasn't happened since. Honestly, I just don't think she even notices them that much.

Edited to add: I think they are sturdier than people think at first glance.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC