seat belt question

U

Unregistered

I have a two-year old son and expecting a new baby in August. While I am staying in the hospital our son will be staying with my husbands parents. My son rides in a blvd RF in our car. The grandparents have a marathon in their car since they also have another grandchild that is three. However their car seat in FF in the middle. I know that I am a very bad mommy for this but when my son dose occasionaly ride with them we don't turn the car seat to RF. I know this sounds realy bad but I guess we don't because he only occasionaly rides with them and it is only for a short trip. But I have talked to my husband about telling his parents to let me install the seat RF while they have him during my stay in the hospital. The first question that I have it about the lap belt that is currently being used to restrain the seat. It got chewed by a dog on the end of the tail on the seat-belt. Is this okay-the chewed part isn't in the way of the seatbelt being buckled if that makes sense. As far as I know thier car dosen't have latch- It is a chevy malibu I beileve a 2000 model. Should that car have latch????? Thank you.

ADS
U

Unregistered

How much does your son weigh? Assuming he is over 22#s, FF is ok. It isn't your safest option and extended RF is preferred. But, if your son is properly secure in a well installed seat FF, then he is safe too.

FYI- RF is safer for head-on crashes, but not necessarily if you are rear-ended. However, rear-ending accidents are typically less severe and less common.

I say don't worry about leaving things as is, but if the grandparents have no objections then go ahead and turn the seat RF, so you don't worry about it.

U

Unregistered

My two year-old is somewhere between 25-27 pounds(it fluctuates). He will be 2 1/2 in August.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I think for the short time span you will be away that forward facing would be fine. Yes, Rearfacing is much safer but if he is restrained properly he will be safe forward facing too.

U

Unregistered

Is the seatbelt okay or should we install the seat somewhere else? Thanks for your replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC