Question Mazda CX-9 Three Across Rear-Facing

landofoz

We have a Mazda CX-9. Right now we have two carseats: a graco snugride 32 and a britax marathon. I would like to keep both of the ones we already have if at all possible and purchase a new convertible, which needs to support a 15 pounder or less (I am guessing she will be at least 15 lbs by my due date). Right now the britax is in the middle and I would think I would really need the snugride to be on the outside for access to the middle for buckling, but I am fine with the middle being either convertible.

My first choice would to be buy a second Britax Marathon because I really like it and find it very easy to adjust. But it is large. Has anyone ever been able to make that fit?

I think another possibility is to go with a radian since they are narrow. But I am still not totally sure it will all fit with all three being rear-facing. Does anyone have any experience of making that work or any configuration ideas?

We really need all three to be on the middle seat both because we need that trunk space a lot of the time and because none of my children are old enough to be at all self-sufficient when it comes to buckling and it would be really hard for me to get back there to buckle every single time. I am okay if we aren't able to slide the seat for third row access as we rarely use it for people.

Thanks!

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I'm confused, how old are the kids?

Is the Marathon you already have an old style 65 with the white base or a new style 70 with the black base?

My best friend has a CX9 and I've done a lot of combos in it, it's a pretty 3 across friendly car. The Radian also installs great in it. Here are some combos I've done successfully (all listed driver to passenger side, and the Marathon in all these is a 65):

FF Turbo Booster, FF Marathon, RF Keyfit
RF Radian, FF Maestro, RF Keyfit
RF Marathon, RF Radian, RF Scenera
RF Marathon, RF Radian, RF Complete Air
RF Radian, RF True Fit, RF Discovery
RF Snugride 22, RF True Fit, RF MyRide

The middle seat is narrow and a little weird shaped, so you have to choose carefully what goes there in order to puzzle seats together, but otherwise it's pretty easy for most combinations.

landofoz

When I am due in early October, my oldest will be 23 months (he is currently 22 pounds so on the small side and the one in the marathon), my middle will be 10 months (she is tiny and is currently 10 pounds and now uses the snugride, though I plan to move her to a convertible before the new baby comes), and then we'll have a newborn. We have the marathon 70 currently.

You have given me some options to look into, thanks!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Oh ok that makes sense! Brave mama with a 2,1, and newborn! Have you tried the marathon in the center next to the snugride? If they fit you can do pretty much anything on the other side, if that doesn't fit I'd probably go with a radian for the middle and I'm nearly positive you can fit the marathon on the other side.

EmmaGrace'sMom

I think given Emma's installs I would try (drivers side to passenger) RN, MA, SR. The Radian is a low profile seat and won't get in the way of buckling the child in the MA if you buckled from the driver side. You might need an angle adjuster for the Radian to make it more upright, but I'm not sure how much room there is between the front seat and second row so you may not need it.

On the other hand the MA might be easier in an outboard position so you don't have to lift a child up and into the middle. If the RN was center it should puzzle between the front seats easily and you would only have to lift a child over the SR base to get into the middle.

Hope that's not too confusing!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
You might need an angle adjuster for the Radian to make it more upright, but I'm not sure how much room there is between the front seat and second row so you may not need it.

It's actually not bad without the angle adjuster. I've done it both ways and I prefer it with, but it fits comfortably without behind a (5'5") driver.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC