23-lb 2-year-old, mom adamant about FF

pastrygirl

I actually had the guts to talk to someone at Target yesterday. She was looking for a seat for her 23-pound 2-year-old (almost 2, or just turned 2). I asked if she was FF or RF, and she adamantly said that she's been FF forever, so I mentioned that at that size, she can still RF. The response was NO WAY so then I pointed out a few seats. She really wanted something that would get her to a booster quickly. Boosters are SO much easier, etc, etc. :( I told her that since some of the seats harness to 65 pounds, she's better off/safer using the harness that long (nope, she wanted to switch at 40).

Anyway... I showed her the Nautilus and she seemed to like that idea. Did I do the right thing? Is the Nautilus a good choice for someone so little (since RF was NOT an option). She seemed to really like the pink ComfortSport, though she also said that her other kids had a Combi seat that she loved and was hoping to find again.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Nautilus is great for that kiddo! And the mom will appreciate that it installs easily, has a nice harness, and it actually does become a really nice booster, unlike the Cosco/Evenflo combo seats that are short and not good for SIP. The comfortsport would be outgrown in less than a year even with a tiny kid, but she can use the Nautilus as long as the law commands her (hopefully 8 in your state, or maybe WILL be by then...we can cross our fingers, lol).
:)

keri1292

I think that it's the perfect choice for her. Hopefully, Mom is lazy/cheap and doesn't replace the Nautilus at 40lbs with a booster. Or convert it to a booster. (I forgot about that handy feature! lol)

Also, when people insist on FFing, I try to just stress the importance of tethering the seat. :(

pastrygirl

Also, when people insist on FFing, I try to just stress the importance of tethering the seat. :(
I did mention tethering, and she said she does do it because it must be safer! She said she doesn't like LATCH so she uses the seat belt and the top tether. :thumbsup:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I think you did a great job. :thumbsup: And who knows, with a Nautilus, maybe she will keep her harnessed past 40 lbs.

pastrygirl

Thanks everyone! She didn't buy a seat at that point, but was going to talk to her husband about it. My guess is that she'll go back for the ComfortSport... but maybe the practicality and lifespan of the Nautilus will win her and her husband over!

musicmaj

Also, it might take her little one a long time to get to 40lbs. With a two year old that size I think she might not be 40lbs until 5 years old.

keri1292

Also, it might take her little one a long time to get to 40lbs. With a two year old that size I think she might not be 40lbs until 5 years old.

Good point. My kids don't hit 40lbs until 6yo. Harness ONLY to 40lbs may be a lot longer than she thought. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC