Question Britax Regent or Frontier?

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I am new here but have referred to the many helpful reviews and tips on this site for years. My older DD is turning 4, about 35 lbs. and 38" height. With the Britax sale this week I am thinking of getting either the Regent or the Frontier. This is for a Prius.

I've been going back and forth between these two choices.

Frontier:
- side impact protection
- extended life to 100 lbs as a booster
- 9 year life span, could last to DD 2

Regent:
- easier installation
- pretty Madison (I have a girly girl)

If I get a Regent and have DD1 use it til she hits 80 lbs (I have no idea what age that is) will she still need a booster after that?

I'm just not sure what else I should be considering in making this decision.

Thanks so much for all of the helpful advice on this site.

Edie Cheng
San Francisco, CA

DD1: RA
DD2: RF Blvd

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She'll likely need a booster, yes. Most kids don't go from the Regent to the seatbelt.

Just so you know, she likely won't make it to 80 pounds in it. Most kids don't. They outgrow it often by torso height first. A seat is outgrown when the shoulders go over the top slot, even if they're under the weight limit. Piper would outgrow a Regent probably by 55 pounds.

Same thing with the Frontier. With top slots just about an inch below the Regent it'll be outgrown sooner.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks Wendy. That's helpful to know. It seems like if height is the limiting factor then the Frontier going to 100# is not really a feature that will come into play.

I am leaning toward the Regent, especially with your comments.

Edie

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've read more and more successful installs of the Frontier now that people have had it longer. If you could find both to try out (I know there are some good baby stores where you live, I used to work at Lullaby Lane :)), that would be your best way of knowing what would work for you.
My dd would have *just* outgrown the Frontier, and she's tall and almost 9 (she still has a bit of growing room in the Regent, but she's been in a booster since age 7ish)...she LOVES the Frontier as a booster! It's very comfortable and she has lots of room to grow in it.
The only major problem with the Frontier so far is that it has much more slippery straps than you are used to on the RA and BV, and they tend to get twisted in the buckle tongues if you aren't careful with them.
The Graco Nautilus is another very nice seat you might want to consider (tall harness, EPS foam for head protection, good booster later, nice smooth harness adjuster--like the Roundabout--).

:)

Heather98012

Thanks Wendy. That's helpful to know. It seems like if height is the limiting factor then the Frontier going to 100# is not really a feature that will come into play.

I am leaning toward the Regent, especially with your comments.

Edie

Well, she won't be able to use it HARNESSED to 100 lbs, but don't forget it converts to the highest HBB out there currently.

I'd get the Frontier. It installed easily in dh's Toyota Sequoia with the LBP method, no problem, & someone else on here got it in a Prius.

goodiewife01

I couldn't decide between the two either, so I got both. :D Although, both of my twin 5 yr olds needed new seats!

L, is in a Madison Regent and loves it. I call it her 'Lazy Boy recliner'. :love: She is pretty broad at the shoulders and built a bit stockier than her fine featured twin sister. They are 5 yrs, 4 mos old. L is 45" tall and over 50 lbs. She also has sensory issues and seems to be much happier because she is so comfortable.

J is in the Pink Sky Frontier. She loves hers too. J has very petite features. She is very slight in build. She is about 43.5" tall and less than 40 lbs. I really felt that the Regent would swallow her up too because of her small build.

I even checked out the Nautilus and didn't like that it didn't come in feminine colors. But what really made me NOT buy the Nautilus was the fact that it appeared L had very little room with her broad shoulders. It just looked too narrow for her.

My car seats are installed in a Toyota Sienna 01. I used the SBP with the Regent. I also used the 'recline trick' to snug the car seat in the Captains Chair behind the Drivers seat. It is a very solid install. With the Frontier (installed 3rd row, drivers outboard) , I had difficulty getting it tight enough with the SBP and opted to use the LBP. It still very slightly tilts one side of the car seat, but it is a rock-solid install.

I hope that helps with your decision. Good luck! We love our Britaxes!

:D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC