School Field Trip - bus vs van

MommaMia

DDs preschool takes local field trips. As a parent, I can request she be in the van (where I provide and install her seat) or on the bus.

She is 4.5yo, 41" and 39#.

The van is a 15-seater, and I'm nearly positive it is lacking top tether anchors. Her car seat in the van would be our Britax Frontier 90. I've head that, at her weight, the seat performs acceptably without the top tether, though I am still concerned.

The bus is somewhere around a 15-seater with a built in 5-point harness for each seat. The 5-point system is integrated into the seat back - you pull down part of the seat back, which becomes like a booster for the child and the 5 point harness is revealed (does that make sense? It's similar to some integrated 5-point systems in cars). I have no clue on the age of the bus. My daughter knows how she needs to be secured and is not shy about asking the teacher to make the integrated harness on the bus tighter.

Is one of these options better/safer than the other?

Thanks!

ADS

Dillipop

I'd probably go with the integrated seat in the bus. While smaller than a regular bus, it will be more stable than a 15 passenger van and should have size and color going for it. The integrated harnesses are very safe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC