Broken foam in used carseat

R

Rafismom

Hello, I am new to this forum and hope you can help me. My husband and I received a hand-me-down carseat from his brother. It looks okay on the outside (it is a Natylys, a French brand), but when I took the cover off to wash it, I noticed the foam is broken. I told my husband that I refuse to use it, but he insists that it is okay, since the foam is merely broken, but not compressed. I find the whole situation ridiculous. Money is an object, but of course safety is more important.

In the states my brother has given us a Britax Roundabout, which is clearly superior, and I would like to take it back with us on our next visit, but we're not sure how to handle a carseat plus baggage plus baby, plus I'm pregnant.

Your comments would be helpful. Thanks

Raphael's mom

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
What country do you live in? It is illegal to use seats from other countries unless you are a visitor. Like since I'm a US citizen I could go to Germany and take my seat with me and use it and then return to the States. But if I decided that I wanted to move to Germany permantly--I would have to buy and use a german car seat.

Susan

scatterbunny

Also, you'll want to bring and use a seat on the plane anyway--it's much safer. What happens to some lap babies in turbulence is scary, and buckling an older child into just the lapbelt when they are used to a carseat is usually just inviting trouble, because they don't feel as secure so they think they can get unbuckled and run wild.

I can't answer your question about the foam, sorry. :(

U

Unregistered

www.cpsafety.org has info on flying with babies/toddlers & why using the carseat is important on the flight.

Also, call the carseat manufacturer. It might be replaced for free?

BrookeSLP

If the broken foam looks like styrofoam, then it is the EPS foam and must be replaced. You can call the manufacturer to inquire about replacement. Also, car seats do expire, so you might check the dates on your seat and see if it is still good to use. In the US, the general recommendation is 6 years.

Good luck.

Brooke

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC