Mazda 5

U

Unregistered

Anyone have a Mazda 5? How do you access the 3rd row? Or more importantly - if I had 2 carseats in the 2nd row can you still access the 3rd row or not? I'm desperately trying to find a safe non-SUV, non-minivan car that seats more than 5 passengers! If I don't find something soon my DH is going to doom me to minivan hell! :) Thanks!

Sue

ADS

Tara

I've not seen in person, but I saw on their commercials (and later dh confirmed, as he's a salesman on a lot that also carries Mazda, though he doesn't do Mazda) that the middle row is bucket seats. Looks like you'd just scoot to the back row in between the middle row buckets like you would a minivan ??
So, technically speaking, yes, if you had car seats in the 2nd row, you'd still have access to the 3rd row. Or I guess, more appropriately, that would read 'in theory' ;)
The 2nd row has 2 bucket seats, the 3rd is a 2 seater bench.
How easily things are managed/accessed...I haven't a clue. Sorry *shrug*

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oh, I do remember some discussion of the Mazda 5 when it was just coming out -- I think someone did test carseats in it? Maybe we can find something running a search (icon below....) :confused: :cool:

U

Unregistered

You may want to also check out the Ford Freestyle -- its a 6 or 7 passenger "wagon" style vehicle. Built using a volvo safety cage, side air bags ect..ect... Pricing is reasonable (IMO) But it's definately more the size of a minivan--but styled like a cross between a wagon and suv. Definately bigger than the Mazda 5. MPG is around 26-28. HTH

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I have a Mazda 5, bought it about 2 months ago. You can slide the middle seats all the way forward to access the third row, or there is a little "aisleway" down the middle. I like my Mazda a lot. I have two kids, so they stay in the captains chairs and we only use the third row when others are traveling with us.

U

Unregistered

Jen, any complaints about the Mazda5? Since it is new there aren't too many reviews of it out there. What other cars did you consider before you made your choice?

We are considering the Ford Freestyle too. I'm not too thrilled about the interior of the Freestyle - kinda cheap looking IMO. And I've heard it's a bit underpowered for it's size (bigger complaint for my DH than for me). But we'll definitely be test driving that as well. Especially because you can get a used one pretty reasonable at CarMax with pretty low miles.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Sue

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I have had a few problems with my sliding doors not closing. I actually ended up taking a video of us trying to close the door and it bouncing open to show the guys at the dealership. It would do that for about 5 minutes, then all of the sudden close... they couldn't replicate it in the shop, so I had to actually show them so they would believe me... Other then that, I LOVE it, it is wonderful for me and the kids. It does get a little cramped if you are actually carring 6 people.. I usually only have my two kids and I in the car. You have to adjust the second row to make sure the third row has enough leg room if you are using it. I had a 2004 Mazda 3 before this Mazda, and have been waiting for it to come out for me to buy it. I traded in my mazda 3 and I am very happy with it so far. I drive about 800-1000 miles a week, so I spend a lot of time in the car. I never looked at other vans/cars, so I didn't really do a compairison... Plus, I can get the car seats rock solid in it, and it has side curtain airbags for all rows. I was told by the sales guy that it has already been tested to the new standard for rear crashed that will be coming out soon for vans and passes even though it isn't required yet.... I will believe that more once we have NHTSA tests out on it..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC