Question $200 to purxchase 2 boosters and one 3 in1

U

Unregistered

My son and DIL really need some advice on what to purchase. They were in a rear end collision almost a week ago. 9yr old had some glass in his head and DIL has whiplash other than that everyone is OK! They got a check from their insurance company this morning to purchase new car seats. They have an sm to avg height but light 9yr old right around 50lbs. They have a 6 yr old who is probably a bit on the tall side and very solid. She is probably closer to 60lbs than her 9yr old brother. Then there is the soon to be 3 yr old. She's on the small side at almost 30lbs and pretty short. They have no idea what kind of vehicle they will get as theirs was totaled in the crash. I think this has made the point that I've been hoping to get across that the 9yr old needs to be in a booster. The pediatrician told them he didn't need one when he turned 8. Seems that's Indiana law, dumb law. Money is very tight for them and I don't have much to help them out right now. Insurance gave them $150 for replacements. I can spare about $50. Suggestions please. I just want all the grand kids buckled in and safe. Thanks for your input.

ADS

cpsaddict

Will they be getting a newer vehicle? If so, then a Cosco Apex 65 would work for the three year old and they are on sale for $89 at albeebaby.com. It's 4.95 for shipping, so not too bad. The vehicle needs to have headrests or tall seatbacks for the Apex, that's why I asked about the age of the vehicle. For the 9yr old, a backless booster would work if there are headrests or possibly a highback booster if the child isn't too tall. Two Recaro Vivos would be nice and they are right around $60 right now. That would be just slightly more than $200. If the 9yr old is too tall for the highback, then one Vivo and a backless like the Graco Turbo would work.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Will they be getting a van or something with 3 rows, or do they need to get all 3 kids across in 1 row? the Apex will not work in most vehicles in 3 across.

If you could also find out the torso heights of all three kids, we could make recommendations that would work for the kids, and hopefully keep under budget. To measure torso, just sit the kids against a wall, have them sit criss-cross and measure from the floor to their shoulder.

Thanks!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
At Albeebaby.com they can get two highbacked Graco Turboboosters and one 50# Alpha Omega Elite shipped for under $200. The Alpha Omega is a lousy booster, so plan to move the 3yo into one of the Turboboosters when s/he outgrows the harness. I'll be back with links soon...

DahliaRW

At 9, I would think a LBB would be fine, and you can find many for around $20. Then a hbb for the 6yo (the turbobooster you can often fine for $40) and then I'd try to see if there was any way to get a graco nautilus for the 3yo (often can find them for around $150) which puts you only $10 over.

emandbri

Good price for the nautilus! I would do nautilus for 3 year old, high back turbo for 6 year old, and backless turbo for the nine year old.

Maedze

Good price for the nautilus! I would do nautilus for 3 year old, high back turbo for 6 year old, and backless turbo for the nine year old.

:thumbsup: (or possibly a Dakota or Harmony backless, similar pricepoint, for the 9 year old for added leg support)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The only reason I wouldn't buy a backless (yet) is that they don't know what kind of vehicle they will be getting. If there is head support I agree that a backless is fine for a 9yo. :)

DahliaRW

Good point chickabiddy. Well, if they need 2 hbb, if they can get 2 turbos for 40 each an that nautilus on sale, still barely over.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC