Help with FF Marathon in '01 Xterra

U

Unregistered

We've had our Marathon RF in our '01 Xterra. We had planned to keep DD RF longer, but she has developed the overwhelming desire to stretch herself out as far as possible and when she can't stretch her legs out she spends the entire trip screaming. After enduring several weeks of this I've concluded that I can't concentrate fully on driving when she is like this and it would be better for all of us to flip her to FF. Now for the problem. She's been RF in the center position which worked great with the belt and the tether. Now we cannot get it to install FF. The stalk part of the belt is too long and it just simply gets in the way. We installed it behind the passenger seat and that worked perfectly. We were able to get it in very tight and as much as I hate to say it, it is super easy to get her in and out and the harnesses properly adjusted in this position (if you've ever climbed up into the back of an Xterra with a bad back you'll know what I mean here). My question would be is there some sort of trick to installing it in the center (how many times are we allowed to safely twist the stalk)? Or should we feel just as comfortable with her on the side since we know it's installed correctly and I'm very confident that she will be harnessed correctly every time she rides in it?

ADS

ccjones

I have an '06 Xterra, and while my DS is RF in a Marathon, I can understand some of your problems. I had an issue with the carseat tilting to one side when it was installed in the rear-center position, because of the 60/40 split in the seat bottom of rear-bench seat. I finally moved DS to the driver's side rear-outboard seat, since the rear-center position was no longer an option due to the tilting, and the seat back of the Marathon blocked my blindspot when it was installed behind the passenger seat. I got a great installation (I have LATCH) and it is way easier to get him in and out of the Xterra now. I, like you, felt guilty for moving DS from the center at first. But having the carseat installed correctly is WAY more important than where you decide to install the carseat in the rear. As long as you're able to get a good install in the rear passenger position, then I think it's perfectly fine to think about your bad back and do what's easiest for you. But, if you do want to move DD back to the center, you can twist the belt stalk up to 3 times to make it shorter.

Colleen

U

Unregistered

Thanks a bunch! Glad to hear from someone else with an Xterra. I LOVE this car, but it is a pain in the butt when it comes to car seats. Since we have such a good tight install I think we'll leave her on the side. We actually twisted the stalk 3 times and it still wouldn't work. The instructions say that for a lap belt install the belt must go under the latch bar on the car seat and it just flat out will not work at all like that. Thanks for the info and the reassurance!

U

Unregistered

Marathon in '01 Xterra

Hi, my daughter turned 1 on Sat. and we're looking for a new car seat. I really like the Marathon, but was worried about it being able to fit in our Xterra. I see we'll have to move the seat from the center. My question is, will there be enough space for 2 normal-sized adults to fit next to the carseat? Thanks, Fatimah

U

Unregistered

Normal size adults, yes - large adults no. We can still fit the same 2 people in the back that we fit when she was in the center. They just feel a little crammed in there as far as shoulder space is concerned. But, honestly I think that will be the same with just about any seat that you put back there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC