Downsizing soon from a van

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We have an 03 Odyssey, and only two kids. We drive a lot, and cart a lot of stuff. We also have an old dog who rides down low in the back hatch with the 3rd row up to contain her.

The van will probably die soon, and I want to be prepared for what to look at next. We need to be able to transport the dog safely (I don't want her on the seat next to the kids). I also teach tech courses and need to be able to cart a good selection of training seats around, so a decent amount of cargo space is needed with the seats folded.

A 6.5 year old in a booster and an almost 4 year old are the main occupants, and I want to be able to bring along a 3rd kid without having to spend hours puzzling seats or worrying about what will fit, so a decent back seat width would be nice.

Not brand new, but probably 2-4 years old would be realistic. Not set on anything in particular, better on gas would be nice.

Ideas?

ADS

nataliem257

We have an 03 Odyssey, and only two kids. We drive a lot, and cart a lot of stuff. We also have an old dog who rides down low in the back hatch with the 3rd row up to contain her.

The van will probably die soon, and I want to be prepared for what to look at next. We need to be able to transport the dog safely (I don't want her on the seat next to the kids). I also teach tech courses and need to be able to cart a good selection of training seats around, so a decent amount of cargo space is needed with the seats folded.

A 6.5 year old in a booster and an almost 4 year old are the main occupants, and I want to be able to bring along a 3rd kid without having to spend hours puzzling seats or worrying about what will fit, so a decent back seat width would be nice.

Not brand new, but probably 2-4 years old would be realistic. Not set on anything in particular, better on gas would be nice.

Ideas?

Sounds like a text book case for a Mazda 5 to me! Meets all your criteria.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Better on gas eliminates most midsize SUVs. Maybe a compact model like a Subaru Forester or midsize Outback? Slightly better fuel economy, not as good as Mazda5, but you get AWD as a nice bonus for Ontario winters!

teekadog

I drive a Mazda5 and can't picture where you would put your dog in it. Either in a pet seatbelt in the 3rd row when you have no extra passengers or in a secured crate with the 3rd row folded maybe... And I don't think you would have "a lot" of extra room for training seats. A big reason I have never taken part in the bru trade-ins is because I didn't have anywhere to put my expired britaxes with my in-use seats installed! However I do have more kids than you and my dog is 70lbs. Maybe I'm naysaying because you can't fit a 3rd kid AND a dog AND training seats. But JUST 3 kids or JUST your family+dog or JUST training seats would probably be very easy to switch between. My mother loves her new Subaru Forester and loved her Honda CRV before that.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for the ideas - I hadn't considered a Mazda 5 but it could suit us nicely. I don't have the kids in with me while transporting training seats, but I would often have the dog and the kids. Does the 3rd row fold away?

I have been eying the Honda Crosstour and the Toyota Venza, but they might not be practical for cargo space, or while we still have the dog (I'm not hastening her demise...just hoping the van holds out longer than the dog). Maybe a Ford Edge.

If it were up to my husband he'd buy a truck...a full size F150 with the roomy back seat. :rolleyes: which is the opposite of what I want, but it would solve the issue of how to transport seats!

nataliem257

Thanks for the ideas - I hadn't considered a Mazda 5 but it could suit us nicely. I don't have the kids in with me while transporting training seats, but I would often have the dog and the kids. Does the 3rd row fold away?

I have been eying the Honda Crosstour and the Toyota Venza, but they might not be practical for cargo space, or while we still have the dog (I'm not hastening her demise...just hoping the van holds out longer than the dog). Maybe a Ford Edge.

If it were up to my husband he'd buy a truck...a full size F150 with the roomy back seat. :rolleyes: which is the opposite of what I want, but it would solve the issue of how to transport seats!

They do, for a pretty decent amount of cargo room. My friend had a venza, I loved the way it looked and it had good cargo space, but didn't look particularly 3 across friendly. She had a nautilus in there and I couldn't imagine fitting 2 more of anything but radians, to put it into perspective.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC